Why is my daughter so clingy to me?

im 6 months pregnant with a 10 month old daughter and im working! My daughters been so clingy to me and it gets hard cause my back has been hurting alot plus her! So when i come home im ready to put her to bed because shes always wanting to be on me and i feel bad but i still love her at the wnd of the nite and i want to be the to put her to sleep! Its very hard!

johnandtabby

Asked by johnandtabby at 1:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You answered it yourself: You are 6 months pregnant, with a 10 month old daughter AND you are working!

She misses you while you are gone, and she senses the coming change of the new baby. She just wants reassurance from her mama. The clingy thing can drive you crazy, I know! You are a hard-working mom. Like the first answer said- work out a routine with your husband that allows you some down time. Best of luck!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• How bout a bedtime routine with her? Daddy can give her a bath and you can read to her in bed. You get to relax while having some quality time with her. I worked, I had kids 23 months apart, I remember,,:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with the above poster... I sometimes feel the same way with my 3 year old. Hope it gets better!
    gotfavor

Answer by gotfavor at 1:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't mean to be rude but she's 10 MONTHS OLD. That is COMPLETELY normal behavior for a 10 month old. I know your tired but honestly if you are having issues handling the inconvienance of a baby with typical attachment issues then how are you going to handle two???

Your gone all day and your pregnant. She sences these things. I know it's tough mama but you don't want to put her to bed as soon as you get home or she'll feel abandoned by you.

Give her a bath and put your feet in the warm water while she plays. I do it all the time. It makes my sore feet feel SO GOOD and I get to spend some fun time with my kids before bed time.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 4:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You should see this as a positive - it demonstrates how well bonded the two of you are.

You have a lot going on; good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Of course she wan'ts to cling to you. She is just a baby and you are gone all day. She is tring to reconnect with you. She has no concept or ability to understand your aches and pains. I know it is hard, but for her sake you need to deal with it and give her what she needs nowand after the baby comes.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:38 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Im stilll a first time mom even though im pregnant with my 2nd and i know its normal with a 10 month year old! Just being pregnant makes it harder, cause my bodys always hurting! If the baby was out of me it would be alot easier because i wouldnt be so tired all the time! I can handle two as long as i have my strength back! I dont abandon her I spend all day with her and do all sort of things with her from the time she wakes up at 8! Her bed time in 10 but i get off at 9 but by the time i get hom shes ready to be all over me.... i dont complain or try to show her what im feeling even though shes smart and shes learning my emotions! I just spend that last 45 min to an hour with her then put her to sleep then I rest!
    johnandtabby

Comment by johnandtabby (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Human infants have to be born too early so that they will fit out. Our babies reallly should be inside for about 9 more months or so. What has happened for all of human history until very recent times Is for mothers and babies to have a symbiotic relationship. Moms breastfeed and both mom and baby benefit from lactation hormones. Moms carry babies almost all the time and sleep with their babies. At around 9-10 months babies start to be able to crawl and eat and start a very slow process of becoming independent with weaning happening between the ages of 3-7. Babies are spaced 3 or more years apart.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Don't count on getting your strength back. It's probablly easier pregnant than once the baby is born. The World Health Org recommends waiting 3 years before trying ttc. It takes that long to recover from childbirth and regain strength. Even if you had an easy recovery the first time it could be difficult this time. There is nothing you can do about having gotten pregnant so soon at this point.

What you can do is set up your home and life so that you can take care of your two babies once your baby is born. Arrange to have help. If you had a difficult birth the first time take childbirth classes and hire a doula. If you aren't still breastfeeding go to LLL meetings or take a breastfeeding course. Simplify your lifestyle. I know this is more info than you asked for but if you didn't understand a 10 month baby being clingy this may help.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• How can you spend all day with her if you work? Do you take her to work with you?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010