about three years ago i had a tubal pregnancy and a friend of mine said if you ever had a tubal pregnancy then you wont get pregnant again bcuz of tubal damage.so is that true,we are not trying but we arent too careful either and nothins happened......so if someone can help i need it..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• It all depends on how your tubal pregnancy was treated. If you had to have surgery, if your tube was damaged.. there are many factors. I had a tubal pregnancy 2 years ago and was able to treat it with Methotrexate, and I have had no damage to that ovary and have conceived since then. Even if your ovary was damaged, you only need ONE ovary to conceive a baby. So, your friend is wrong.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 1:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My older sister had a tubal pregnancy and is still able to have children, in fact she had her last two after her tubal pregnancy. Did they remove your tubes, if not then you can. To make sure ask a doctor.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 1:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• your friend is wrong! I just had my right tube removed in April (due to a tubal pregnancy) My Dr. said it raises your chances by 15% of having another tubal pregnancy (I have no risk factors for one though). You also didn't mention whether they were able to save your tube or if it was removed......
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My aunt had a tubal pregnancy. After recovering from that she got pregnant again and miscarried, then after that she had her youngest daughter, who is now 21. You can totally get pregnant after a tubal. It's not a guarantee, but if you DON'T want to get pregnant, I'd use birth control.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 1:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I had a tubal pregnancy and had to go in for emergency surgery to remove it. I have an appendix type scar from it. I went on to have two healthy babies who where born vaginally
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• thats not true because you alternate ovaries when you ovulate. you ovulate with the left one month and the right the next month and it keeps going in that pattern so if you had damage to one tube then you would still get pregnant when the opposite ovary ovulates
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yeah, your friend is wrong. I had a an ectopic pregnancy that required the removal of my left ovary and fallopian tube(I had a giant benign tumor on my ovary that no one knew about!) i got pregnant with my son a year later and he just turned 3.
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 1:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I just saw an episode of "i didn't know I was pregnant" where the woman gave birth almost 20 years after an eptopic pregnancy.

Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 3:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, you can still get pregnant. Unless something is wrong, you have TWO ovaries and TWO fallopian tubes. However, the occurance of an ectopic pregnancy significantly increases the chances of successive ectopic.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 9:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Aliishott, you're wrong about alternating. In the beginning of your cycle you produce follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). In each ovary, many eggs start to mature. As they mature, they produce estrogen. When the estrogen reaches a certain threshold, it triggers a surge of luteinizing hormone (LH). When you get the LH surge it causes the biggest egg to burst out of the ovary. The follicle left behind collapses on itself and becomes the corpus luteum and produces progesterone. Progesterone prevents any more eggs from popping out and makes your uterine lining thick and self sustaining. When the corpus luteum dies, its no longer producing progesterone and the lining starts to shed, resulting in your period.

It has nothing to do with which side you last ovulated from and everything to do with which of a dozen or more eggs that start to mature is ready when you get the LH surge.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 9:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010