If a book you haven't read yet is made into a movie do you avoid seeing the movie until you have read the book?

I do but I know people who do the opposite, too.

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 1:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Entertainment

• As long as it's a book I am interested in reading, I will always read first, then see the movie. Books are far more important to me, so I'd rather have the movie "spoiled" by already knowing the ending than the book. But if it's something I'm not interested in reading, I don't mind catching the movie, and then I may or may not someday read the book :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would rather see the movie first. i notice when I've read a book and than see the movie I'm constantly comparing them, which makes the movie not as good for me because it's usually just not as good as the book.
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 1:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I like to read the book first. The book is always better, and often I don't enjoy the book as much if I know what's going to happen in the end.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't know.
    If I haven't read the book, I might see the movie anyway. With no plans to read the book (like Harry Potter - lol, I just don't have the time) - but SOME books, if I see the movie and think the movie was kind of good, I'll read the book.
    I saw the Lovely Bones and when I started to read the book, the book is just that much sadder/better.
    Also The Time-Travelers Wife - the movie is disjointed and choppy. But the book is just really good. I liked the book - I read it before I watched the movie.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with the first poster....I have to see the movie first.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• most of the time i dont realize there is a book til someone mentions it. So i usually see the movie first. Plus when i read i like to have a face that goes with the books and the movies help with that
    Melissa_anne

Answer by Melissa_anne at 4:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I did that with Mystic River...

and the book was SO MUCH BETTER!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If I know it's a book, I always read the book first. I agree The Time Traveler's Wife is so much better as a book!! I was very disappointed with the movie!!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would rather read the book first, but right now I only have time to read kids' book and textbooks, so my answer is no. I am a big Lord of the Rings fan and have seen the movies many times, but I haven't read the books (they are sitting in my bookcase waiting for me). Of course, maybe my crush on Viggo Mortensen has something to do with me seeing the movies so many times!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010