The city's property at the bottom of my yard. I can't tell people to leave, right?

Tonight there were two sketchy people sitting at the bottom of my backyard. It's the city's property. I have to maintain it, but it's not mine (kind of like the blvd.) Anyways, I got two texts from the neighbors wondering if I knew the people who were there. I replied and said no. They told me that I should tell them to leave as they are not from our neighborhood. First of all, I'm a chicken. Second of all, it's not my property. It looks like it but it's the city's land. I can't tell people to leave, right?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 2:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I think that I would have asked the police to come out to investigate some sketchy characters that were some place they didn't belong. Assuming they don't live in any of the houses surrounding this pond, they really don't belong there at all, even if it isn't technically your property. Whose yard did they walk through to get there? And it's still trespassing for them to be there because it isn't public accessed property.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• What are they doing there? I would call the police non emergency number and ask if they can have an officer swing by if they have a minute. Just tell them that they are sitting on the street near your house and your neighbors and you are worried about it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I guess if it were me I would call your local police department (non emergency #) and tell them you are concerned and see if they can come check the people out for your safety. Also I would make it clear that you want to remain anon from the ppl so that they dont try to retaliate for your concern.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 2:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yeah, I would still call and see if an officer will come out and see what is up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think its pretty crappy of your neighbors to text you to go take care of it, talk about tottally chicken poop neighbors. I would call the non emergency line and ask for a officer drive by if they are truly given off a vibe that feels wrong.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:36 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Is the pond in your yard? If so then they are trespassing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would have went out there and asked them what they are doing and why are they hanging out in front of my house and why are they are they in this neighborhood?! I would have been polite but asked them to leave those people didn't know that it wasn't your property. Sometimes you got to find the back bone you have and use it everyone has one.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I am going to bed, let us know what happens!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Legally I don't think you can force them to leave if it's not legally your property, but if you have to maintain it, then I would say you have some sort of right to privacy on it. Also, if they were to drown in the pond area that's in "your" yard, would you be held responsible? If so, then you have every right to make them leave.

I would do what the other said and call the police non-emergency line and see if an officer can swing by and either ask them to leave or explain to you what to do if this happens in the future.
    NIKopotamous

Answer by NIKopotamous at 2:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes you can tell them to leave they are loitering on the property if they have no reason to be there anybody has the right to tell them to leave and if they don't you call the cops
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010