11 year old girl with comprehension issues

My 11 year old daughter has always struggled with comprehension in school. She reads but has a hard time telling what she read about. Funny thing is that she's in the 5 th grade and reads at a 7th grade level. In math shes average. She reads 45 min 3 times a week. I know this effects her test taking skills and conversations with others. I've taking her to tutoring programs that were expensive and ther just a rip off! Anyone out their that can help?

Angelica2179

Asked by Angelica2179 at 2:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• HAVE HER EYES CHECKED!!!!!!! RIght away!!! Both of my boys had this problem and we found out they had a tracking problem with their eyes. What happens is the brain is so focused on moving hte eyes left to right it cant retain what is being read, the eyes try to shoot back to the left and so the brain is too busy working to actually retain or comprehend the material.

There are some great excercises that work and low script glasses, both of my boys showed immediate improvment with glasses and the excercises helped a ton as they did them more and more.

one easy excercise os to take a news paper and have your child take a pen, underline each sentance stopping only to circle all the E's or A's or whatever letter you pick.

BTW this is commonly missed on the eye exam given by the school at the start of the year, most schools fail to find over 80% of eye problems according to our doctor.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• that was very helpful thanks
    Angelica2179

Comment by Angelica2179 (original poster) at 3:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Have her write book reviews and post them on Amazon.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If she has a comprehension problem then she needs to be reading at a lower level. She may like the 7th grade level and be able to "read" them, but if she isn't understanding them she needs to be reading on a level that she does understand and then move up gradually.
    My son that just finished 4th grade is the same way. He has the ability to read at a much higher level, but when he does he doesn't understand it. He reads 20 minutes every night and then I make him tell me what he read about, and I ask questions! (I read ahead in his book every day so I'll actually know if he's understanding it correctly and what questions to ask)

Answer by missanc at 6:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Here is a website that has activities to improve comprehension- http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/studentCenterActivities45.shtm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see a section called Comprehension and under it has 4 parts. Have her do a few activities a week and each week have her do a reading comprehension test to see how she is improving.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010