How old was your daughter when she started playin around with her vagina?

My daughter is 16 months and is always playing with it!!!

ALLLL The time.. when im changing her shell lay her hand on it.. and ill take it off and shell laugh and put it back on it.. or shell lightly tap it with her fingers...

NOW she is starting to play with it in between her labia... she'll even put her hand inside of her diaper

i keep taking her hand out... especially when she does it when her diaper is on i dont want there to be poop in there or anything... what should i do??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should tell her that she needs to only do that in private
    she feels what we as adults feel, stimulation in the vagina feels good, we know this

So if you tell her not to do it at all she will feel like it is wrong and may feel shame toward the way her body works

I would just tell her that there's a time and a place and she can do it but while she is in her room only.

This is also a good time to teach her that this is a private area and teach her good touch from others and bad touch from others.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Its a natural thing, DS has been doing that since he was prob around the same age as your DD. I just have always told him to stop and that is something he does when he is by himself. I try not to make it a gross thing, but sometimes I can't help but to tell him he's being nasty. I don't think there is much you can do to make her stop, just try to instill in her that it is a private thing.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 5:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Right around a year, all 3 of my kids did it, this is so very normal and it is just self exploring. I understand not wanting her to get poop on her but sheis going to try. The best you can do is not make a big deal out of it, this is a completely natural thing for children to do. Once she gets a little bit older you can set rules about where she can do it but right now she doesnt really understand, she just understands that she has discovered a new body part.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think she is just finding something new. i dont think its pleasurable to her.

i'll start telling her thats private, but i odnt think she will really comprehend that at her age. but ill start to and eventually she will.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2010