Should I get my daughter's ears pierced?

She's turning 9 in a few weeks and that's what she wants for her birthday. Her dad and I have been divorced for 5 years and he is totally against her wearing earring, nail polish, any type of makeup EVER. He will be completely and totally pissed off if she has her ears pierced, and she knows it but still wants it done. (He's very controlling and when we were married I wasn't allowed to wear earrings, nail polish or makeup either) At 9 I think she's old enough to make up her own mind about it and take care of them herself. Should I go ahead and let her get them pierced?

Asked by missanc at 6:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would, her Dad needs to learn to ease off now! It will not close up in two days it takes longer than that.

Answer by older at 7:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my personal opinion is if she wants it get it done. my oldest is 10 and she don't want hers pierced, but my 8 yr olds is and my 6 yr old has been asking for her to be done. when we get the money we will be taking her to get hers done.

but you need to make sure he is not going to make her take them out before they heal or it will be wasted money. and she will no be going through that for nothing.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 6:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Honestly, I would let her get them pierced. If you have sole custody of her anyways, there is no reason why she should have to follow what are her father's rules at your house. He needs to learn to respect the fact that she is with you the majority of the time, and that when she is with you she will follow your rules, not his.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i understand where you ladies are coming from but she is 9 and it's going to take longer for her ears to heal. and she will have to wear earings to his house. if he is willing to let them heal and after that her just not wear them to/at his house then that would be one thing. but he is still her father, and even though they are divorced they still have to work together with parenting this child. if he is controlling like the mother is saying he is not going to let her wear the earings and it will be all wasted.

OP- your best bet is to talk to him and see if you guys can work out a deal because she does want it done. Like Bmat think about it as if the situation was flipped around.and about how it would make you feel. the only other choice would be to wait till later and she her self could legally refuse to go there during the time it would take for her ears to heal or he is not so against it.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 7:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i'm not sure but here is a post to yahoo answers... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080721130431AAnxHGR
    and wikianswers says 6 to 10 weeks to heal.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 6:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think it's ok. You do and so does she. He is unreasonable and rarely there.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would get her ears pierced, but i would call the dad afteward & talk to him about it so that he doesn't freak out when she goes to his house. He sounds like a total ass...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would let her get them peirced. I had all my daughters ears pierced when they were babies. The dad is making bigger deal out of it than it is.
    nichole579

Answer by nichole579 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't. Most piercing parlors won't pierce someone that young anyway and there's no way any child of mine would get pierced by a gun.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:04 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• OP - yes, that was one of my concerns (that he would take them out), but he only has her every other weekend from Fri afternoon - Sun afternoon. If I get them done on the Monday after she gets home, they will have been in for almost 2 weeks by the time he sees them - I'm wondering if they will close up over 2 days while she's at his house if he does make her take them out after 2 weeks? Anyone know?

Comment by missanc (original poster) at 6:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2010