do you think the oil spill will hurt the economy?

as of right now i don't think it has hit to bad. but i'm also a sahm that don't get out of the house much. even though me and dh talk about this topic often. i would like other peoples opions or what you know is happening.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 6:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Right now, it is impacting the coastal states in a very bad way. Fishing, tourism - it's going to take many years for that region to recover. Other areas of the country will be feeling the impact soon; higher prices on seafood, as well as higher prices for hotels/etc. (Myrtle Beach has always been less expensive than the panhandle, they have jacked up rates this summer because people are canceling Florida vacations and going there instead.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think that it will definitely hurt the economy in the long run. What if a hurricane hits? BP would have to stop sucking up the oil and move out. That would just leave the "spill" continuous. Then think of what that would mean for the price of oil - gas. Not to mention that with the oil seeping into the ocean its destroying our animal life, including the seafood, and you can just sit back and watch the price for seafood go up in your local grocery store. I also wonder about the pollution in relation to precipitation. Is it possible for particles of oil to remain in our water system? EX: particles of oil go up into the clouds along with water and falls the same? That could be disastrous for our crops. Ppl are already loosing income from the man-spill and I feel that eventually it could make its way to the average Joe's pockets. (I think this is one of WORST screw ups as human beings)

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• there are so many industries this disaster will effect-fishing, tourism, etc. It is a very sad situation
    jenniferleah

Answer by jenniferleah at 7:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes it will, especially in the fishing industry. I just hope we do not have a hurricane this year or else it will get worse real fast!

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It has already hurt several industries.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, it has already reallu hurt tourism in certain areas. I know they were saying Florida was having a lot of canceled hotel rooms

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• it has definitely hurt the tourism industry of the coastline. not will it, but HAS!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Sure, the costal economy will be ravaged. But the even bigger picture is that when this disaster is used to push cap and trade, then we ALL suffer.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm not sure how it can't have some impact.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010