Are you Boycotting BP?

So on my way to work today I stopped off at a gas station thats recently been bought and remodeled. I noticed that its now a BP station instead of a Speedway. At first I thought perhaps I shouldn't get gas here. I'm surprised that I haven't heard more about people boycotting BP. Are you, or someone you know refusing to buy from BP?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 6:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No. Why would I punish the owners of the gas stations? They are in no way responsible for the oil spill.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The problem with boycotting BP gas stations is that it only hurt the individual owners and not the company. BP doesn't actually own the gas stations. So while I don't boycott BP, I also don't buy from BP just because there are cheaper places nears me to buy gas.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, the gas station owners didn't cause the problem.

Answer by Bmat at 7:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, I am not boycotting. However, I didn't buy my gas there before the spill and I still don't. Not because of the spill, but because I already have a place I buy gas from. If I am traveling and there is a BP and a competing brand, I will go to the less expensive option, or if the price is the same I usually pick the one that appears to have the most conveniences (PAP is a huge convenience when going through some very small towns that don't have the money to put into investing in more modern pumps).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• no... one thing is some people signed a contract with bp to get started but when that contract is up they could have anyones gas and still have the bp sign. and someone that don't have a bp sign could be using bp gas. That's a lot of research your going to have to do to find out who has or don't have bp gas. with older gas stations what is on the sign don't mean that's the gas they use. I've known several gas station owners and have heard of then switching there gas after their contract was up but not getting into another one and keep their same sign.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 7:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes actually I am.

1.) BP has PLENTY of money to fix the problem; a boycott isn't going to make that large of a dent in their bank account; but will let them know just how many people are displeased.

2.) IMHO that Franchise owners have a responsibility to themselves when they go into business to make sure it's a company they want to do business with. An ethical, responsible, reliable business partner. BP has the worst track record for safety violation and fines paid than any other oil co. over 780 safety violations and $300 some odd million in fines in the past 5 years compared to 8 & 1 violations by the other companies...

That's one of the risks of doing business. Most franchises are not Mom & Pop shops; sure some may be, but the majority are owned by med to lg companies.

The more franchise owners driven to switch brands the bigger impact made on BP HQ in loss of franchise fees/royalties...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If you boycott them, how are they going to afford to fix the problem and help get it cleaned up? Sure... they have billions, but is that going to be enough? If it's not, the tax payers are going to be paying for it and do you want that?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I didn't go to them before, they jack their prices up around here.

I go to Giant (you get a discount using your Giant card) , Wawa or Liberty

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• not boycotting, really. i just don't go there, their prices are normally the highest. now, they're even higher.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• There aren't any BP stations in my normal travels (I'm in eastern PA), but if I had a choice of stations when I was planning on filling up, I wouldn't select the BP one. I know I'm only hurting the local franchise, but my $50 isn't going to "make or break" the company or the franchise! LOL And I have never purchased Exxon gas (or Exxon Mobil since their merger) since the 1989 Valdez spill. I can only control my little corner of the world--so I do what I want to do and feel is right. Everyone else can do as they please. I'm certainly not going to protest, but I'm not going to contribute either.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010