Teachers: How do you feel about online teaching degrees?

I am going back to school for elementary education. I'm hoping I can knock it out in three years. I'll be 26 this year so it's not like I'm getting any younger. I currently run a daycare out of my home but I know realistically if I return to school I would have to close my business. I really do not want to do this. I have been leaning more toward online colleges so I can do everything from home while I'm working.

Do any of you have online degrees? If so, do you feel it has inhibited you in any way?

Do you think when I go for a job interview they will frown upon that or will they pay more attention to my teaching certification exams?

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get your first teaching job after you graduated?

Thanks ladies for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am about to be a 2nd year Special Education teacher, and I just went back to work last fall at the age of 41!! :O) I earned by Bachelor's when I was 21, and my Master's when I was 25, and then used those degrees to work my fast track career, until I married and had my first child. I was then a SAHM for 8 years, and during that time completed Drexel University's Post Bachelor's Teaching Certificate online program, but I still had to complete my student teaching requirements, and be evaluated by the program's administrators.

I think in the beginning there was a lot of doubt as to whether an online degree was as good as a degree that you earned attending physical courses--and they were looked down upon like "correspondence schools!" But times have changed, and MAJOR colleges are now offering advanced degrees online for adults who have too many commitments and can't just stop/drop everything to go back to school!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with JeremysMom. I don't have a teaching degree, but a mental health degree. Went to a university where a large population was for education. You may be able to take your core credits on line but would eventually have to do your block and student teaching through a physical university. Much of your education degree at the end needs to be done with your advisor/professors/teachers you are working under (as in their classrooms). Plus with online degrees you have to make sure the school is accredited for what you want to do. You could spend a lot of time and money then not have the proper accrediation (hope I spelled that right). As for an interviewer, not so sure how they would feel about it. To teach you have to have that in class experience. And that is where your block and student teaching come into play.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I am about to start online classes towards elementary education... this is a good question!! thanks for asking
    I am going through Central Texas... We are a military family overseas and they also offer onsite classes but i will take all online i think... I choose online because i am a sahm with a 2yr...........
    i am nervous and excited
    GOOD LUCK
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 7:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I maybe wrong but I don't think that you can get your teaching degree with certification online entirely. You maybe able to take the classes but you still have to do student teaching.Western Governor's University does this and I have met a lot of teachers who use to be parapro's do this. I would look into your state's requirements. It would be a shame to do all that work and not be able to teach because you won't be certified.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Oh, and will you find a job right away? I am from PA and a lot of people I know who went for education, be it elementary, early childhood, or a specialized field (music, art, history, etc) had difficult times finding a job. You have to wait for a position to open then hope you are one of the hundreds to get picked from. Now a lot of my husband and my friends (my hubby was in school for music ed and started a life in the military realizing a music teacher is few and far between) but a lot of our friends have moved south for teaching jobs. If you are willing to relocate it's easier. But I had a cousin wait 4 years for a job and got it from who she knew, basically, that's what got her foot in the door. Then my one best friend waited 6 years, but she has a Special Education job. She even has her spec ed certification as well as MANY other certifications along with her early childhood and elem degree. Good luck!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's not going to be easy taking classes and running a daycare. How will you watch the kids? I'd go slowly if I were you. And right now, getting a job teaching is not easy. States are cutting jobs like crazy. My dh applied to over 100 jobs before he got one. And it's not all that fab.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i will be able to do all my student teaching on the military base...
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 8:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• and hope to be working for DoD schools.... (Department of Defense) hopefully when i finish my degree teachers will have a better time finding positions....
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 8:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• As a teacher, I dont' think it's a good idea. Education is social field that requires direct interaction and that needs to happen during training. You just can't get that from online classes.
    hq9858

Answer by hq9858 at 8:36 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• When I went to apply for my Masters in psychology I was going to do so online but the last 8 weeks they wanted me to go to an actual university for some hands on training with other psychologists.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010