If you had a choice between a part-time job in the mornings or a full-time job which would you take?

I am a teacher and have been offered 2 jobs. One of them is a part time job in the morning, at the high school where I taught before my daughter was born almost 2 years ago. Back then I disliked the job for a variety of reasons. I resigned so that I could be home with her. I also am an adjunct professor and was offered a full time position at the college to replace someone who retired. This was my dream job before I had my daughter. Eventually I would love to be a full time prof, but right now I really enjoy being home with Charlotte. And I want to have another baby. I am stuck. Do I take the part time job and stay home most of the day or do I take my "dream job" even though I do not want to work full time right now. I don't know when another full time opportunity will come up at the college. I know there is no right answer, I just wanted to put this out there and see what other mom's would think if they had the choice.

sheilab77

Asked by sheilab77 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Really this is a decision you and your husband need to make and not strangers on the internet. They both have their pros and cons. You just need to sit down and write them all out and see which one works best for you and your family - Good Luck! :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Take the part time, the time you get with your daughter is irreplaceable :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 8:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I had a dream job before my first son was born. It had long hours, sophisticated work, bright coworkers and lots of opportunity. I loved going to work and I didn't mind the hours. It was everything I wanted in my 20s. I think I would hate it now, though. My priorities have changed. If I took that job now, I doubt I would succeed because I just wouldn't be happy. My priorities might shift again in a few years, but it wouldn't be the job for me now. Not sure if this helps. It is just my take on it.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 8:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Another factor to consider is if you really need the money you would be making full-time Vs. Part-time. There are a lot of aspects to consider. GL and like Mommyofmany said, you really need to hash this out @ home...get out pencil and paper and start a list :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i'd take the fulltime position. if would afford you the opportunity to go after your 'dream job', which you could quit, perhaps with parttime placement (?) if/when you did have another baby. you may never have another baby..just sayin. besides, your c hild will be in school soon anyway; you might find yourself wishing you had this job offer again.
    you can always quit if you don't like it after one year, right? thing is, you'll never know if you don't try it.
    and no, you're daughter will not be any better off either way. the decision you make is one for your family, either way. don't let any idiot tell you you'll do your daughter a disservice by going back to work-that's a crock of poop!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Do what is best for the children. So you have to decide what that is. There are pros and cons to each. You might benefit by writing out lists of pros and cons and giving each a numerical weight and adding the results up and seeing which final number was greater.

Answer by Bmat at 8:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Look at the time required for you to be on campus. Full time professor positions are not 40 hours a week on campus jobs. You have your classes of course and then your office hours but you usually aren't "required" to do any more than that. Students will like if you are more accessible but it's not a 9-5 kind of thing. If you can get some night classes, your SO will be home with the children in the evenings.
    hq9858

Answer by hq9858 at 8:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Ask yourself the following: How much does job satisfaction mean to me? If I don't want a full time position, what was the reason why I interviewed for a full time position? Does the part time job offer enough money? How many hours will I be away from home (including your commute)? Are their child care costs? If I turn down the full time job, is my position as an adjunct professor safe?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010