Would you make your teenager learn....

how to change a Tire, check the oil and fill the wiper fluid container before getting their license?

We do!

Mommy_0f_many

Asked by Mommy_0f_many at 8:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I not only plan to make dd learn your list but more. She'll know how to: change the oil, change a tire, spark plugs, belts, pump gas, check for nails in the tires, fill the radiator, use jumper cables, replace the starter & alternator, change the air filter & how to blow it out w/ the high power air hose a couple of times before changing to get more use out of it, etc. I LOVED working on my 1st vehicle, 84 full size Chevy Blazer. I replaced everything on my list & then some! I always loved going to the mechanic & them thinking they could screw me over cuz I'm a woman only to discover that I knew what I was talking about. My fav was the mechanic that told me my fuel injectors needed to be replaced. I informed him there was no fuel injection system, it was a carburetor! Ahhh the look on his face!!!!

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Oh we go a step further. they have to know how to do a complete tune up. Plugs, change the oil and transmission fluid. And drive a  stick shift.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• YES! I wish my parents would have taught me that stuff before I bought my first car and got my license. I got stranded too many times and didn't know how to put water in it.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I forgot one know how to use jumper cables. I actually had a man almost blow up my battery because he was the man and thought he knew everything. He almost crossed the negative with the positive. I grabbed it out of his hands before he connected it.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's a very good idea!

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes and those are very basic things. In other countries like Germany, people have to learn more advanced things like how to change the oil and minor diagnostic and repair before getting a driver's license.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i never was taught that stuff i was given a AAA card when i turned 16 lol, but my duaghters will know how to at least change a tire/check fluids, for their daddy is a tow truck driver :)
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• They taught us all that in driver's ed. I still can't drive a stick shift as my dad would not let me try to drive his truck. My DH keeps trying to teach me in his car but alas I guess I am dumb.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yeah
    jdickey80

Answer by jdickey80 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• check the oil is not hard, and either is adding wiper fluid...... changing the oil that is a different story lmao. but no, i don't know how to change a tire but it's not hard..... they have instructions on the jack. and i have heard at least 4 stories about people getting killed by passing cars trying to change the tire on the roads around here so i would tell them to call a tow truck anyhow.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2010