does anyone know if this can be something wrong with my thyroid?

I have been having problems with constipation and it is getting worse now I can't go at all it is been since last Sunday and also I have problems with my periods being very heavy also been tired all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Health

• I just read that if you have hyperthyroidism & you are constipated, that it's not good at all. So, if you're worried about having a thyroid problem, you need to get it checked. Also, try changing your diet. If you never eat fresh fruits & veggies, or drink lots of water, you are going to feel week, We need proper nutrients to maintain out body & if we're not getting proper nutrients, you will feel sluggish. Here is some info on constipation.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/constipation/

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• well the constipation thing can be fixed by changing your diet. increase water and fiber, eat more fresh fruit and veggies. i think changing your diet will also help give you more energy. if you don't take a daily vitamin already, start doing so since heavy periods can cause low iron which will also make you feel tired. as for the heavy periods, if you're overweight losing weight will help. also, you might have endometriosis (i have that and my sister and mom did too). it causes heavy bleeding and painful periods. there is not anything that they can do about it but i will tell you from personal experience it is much better when you're thin than if you're overweight.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you would have to have a blood test to check your thyroid. you should call your dr.
    the heavy periods could cause tiredness, due to low iron/lost from heavy bleeding. have you changed your diet (constipation)? try eating fiber-rich foods, stay away from milk/dairy products/starchy foods. green leafy veggies, fruit such as apples..even dark chocolate helps me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• thyroids have nothing to do with constipation. Find foods high in fiber (oatmeal, beans, whole wheat breads), eat LOTS of fruits & veggies & eat some yogurt. Drink lots of water too. Constipation is a sign of bad diet, not bad thyroids.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Lots of water will help with the problem. Prunes, raisins, bran cereals, whole grain bread with bran.

Answer by Bmat at 8:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2010