Working Moms: Do you work because you prefer it to staying at home or just for the paycheck?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would assume that most of the moms working work because they need the money. Not because they WANT to be away from their kids. It's also a good outliet for an idividual. If I weren't pregnant I'd have a part time job by now!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• For the Benefits
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Both. I would go mad if I was at home all the time. If I did not need the money, I would probably work part-time.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I love my job, however if there was no need for a paycheck, I probably would not work full time.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I worked for the paycheck. I enjoyed being a SAHM. Once both children were in school full time or even out of the house altogether, I would have wanted a job for the interaction with others, probably.

Answer by Bmat at 8:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I was a SAHM for 8 years--before that I had the "fast track" career and crazy schedule, and now I've gone back this past school year as a special education teacher. Since I'm able to get my kids on and off the bus each day (they're going into 1st and 3rd grades), and able to work when they are in school --as well as be home when they have days off--including summers! I really feel like I'm working part-time, and the best part is, no one misses me! My husband goes off to work like he has always done, and comes home like he's always done! Honestly, I think I really lucked out in this respect!! :o)

I have ALWAYS worked, and was so used to earning my own paycheck and having my OWN money, that being a SAHM was REALLY hard! I like working, because I like the satisfaction of contributing to our family's bottom line, and the adult social interaction and helping other children is stimulating and very rewarding! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm not cut out to be a SAHM. I enjoy my career. Could we get by with just one paycheck? Sure, but we wouldn't be able to provide for our family like we want.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would love to be a SAHM, but I work for both the benefits and the paycheck. My SO is a sub contrator and self employed so we need the benefits and getting by with just one paycheck is not as easy these days, sure we could afford to do it, but we wouldn't be able to provide like we can with 2 checks.. I do enjoy my job and the adult interaction, but I do miss my children.
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 9:04 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I work because it is how I feed my family, keep a roof over our heads, and put clothes on our back!
    Maggiemae4

Answer by Maggiemae4 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• for the money and my sanity
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010