do you pump your own gas?

i don't. first of all i'm from nj and they have full service there, so i never learned what to do. secondly, i find it crazy that either i'm supposed to leave the kids in the car while i go inside to pay or i have to pack them all up and take them inside with me. i wait until my husband is with us or sometimes he will take it and put some gas in before he goes to work.

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Not if I can help it. Agree w/ the going inside to pay, not leaving my dd in the car. Sometimes using my debit card @ the pump doesn't work, either its broken or I need to pay w/ cash cuz the $ on the card is going for other bills & I don't want to overdraw my account. When I was prego I was miserable & sick & the smell of gas made it way worse. Hubby took over pumping gas then & as long as I remember to tell him the truck is low he'll go fill it for me. Yup, one of the ways he spoils me!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• gosh girl, what a princess! i've pumped my own gas since i first got a driver's license! its part of owning/operating a car. of course, it is nice when you drive into a full-service (they're usually higher priced), especially when the weather isn't lovely..but its really not a big thing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yeah the only full service in our area charges .10- .15 more a gallon of gas and living on a budget that adds up over a month.
    jdickey80

Answer by jdickey80 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't like to. I haven't had to with children in the car, but I think I'd stand there by the car while pumping the gas and then pay right at the pump. Otherwise I would have to take the children out of the car to go in an pay.

Answer by Bmat at 9:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• All the time. And I never have to leave the kids alone, I use the "pay at the pump" option. Actually, when I had to go to NJ to visit family, I got out to start pumping the gas and the guy looked at me like I had 3 heads! LOL He said, "I'll get that for you, it's the law here." Alright. Then he got mad because I didn't tip him (when I told my mom about the dirty look he gave me as I was driving away she said it was because I didn't give him a tip). I'm not going to tip someone for something I could have done myself (not to mention I didn't have any more cash on me, just had enough for the gas).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I pay at the pump...
    It's 50/50. Sometimes my DH will drive my car and notice it's getting kind of low and top it off. Other times, I notice it's low, and I top it off. It doesn't bother me. It actually annoyed me the past few times I've come across full service pumps. I like me or my DH taking care of our stuff, because we both know how we want it done, how we like it done... I'm just weird, anal, and OCD like that.... And I just sit there... twiddling my thumbs doing something I'm perfectly capable of doing, and then I feel like I'm obligated to tip them. Blah!
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Ever heard of pay at the pump? My kids never leave the car as I swipe my debit card and then pump my gas. I just can't believe you drive and have no idea how to pump your own gas. I wasn't allowed to get my permit without showing my dad I could change a tire and check all my fluids let alone something as simple as pumping gas! There are very few full service stations in our areas so I guess it just isn't an option for me any way.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I actually don't mind pumping my own gas unless its really cold out but even then i usually do it. i think the full serve gas stations charge you more for the service of pumping your gas? check it out sometime and its easy to learn and do.
    kelly32

Answer by kelly32 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Always - I pay at the pump so I don't have to go in
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 9:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have yet to see a full service station here so as much as I hate doing it I have to get out to pump. If I can I always pay at the pump, if not DS comes in with me and "helps" me pay. I love going to New England for the holidays because as it has been mentioned many of the gas stations we stop at our full service and I never have to get out. :)
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2010