Is anyone worried that the removal of the anonymity button will impact the quality of answers?

I tend to ask more questions than I answer and I don't tend to use the anonymity button for my answers. But, I have noticed that the best answers to my questions are often answered anonymously. The anonymity button allows people to answer when they might be shy or have a different perspective than the norm. I enjoy looking at all sides. I worry that the removal of the anonymity button will result in fewer diverse answers. Does anyone have the same concern?

ARgal

Asked by ARgal at 9:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Somewhat yes. Since it's been gone, I have not answered some questions, just because they look too "dramatic", and now I might be afraid to answer for fear of being voted down.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I dunno. In all my experiences, I've come across few answers that are best answers from anons.
    Usually, they're snarky, bitchy, or just plain mean... lol.

Answering Anon is earned, I just read - something I had no idea on!

But no... I'm not really concerned. I enjoy reading people's answers on here where they're not putting everyone down, just because of the fact that we can now stalk them in anger! J/k. :] But, I do like the fact that answering anon is null and void at this time.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• there have been a few questions I did not answer because I couldn't do it anonymously. There are just certain things that do not need to be out in the open about me on the internet, nothing to do with the members here, but more about other people in my life being able to find my answers if they wanted.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have actually seen this place get better since it has been removed! There have been no trolls (yet) and no real bashing, drama etc. Now for your point - true I have not answered a few questions because I can not answer anon however I could send (and have sent) the poster a private PM with my thoughts/builds/comments to get around the anon thing...... :o) {I don't care if the poster knows who I am - I just don't want my SIL to search my name and find I answered a post regarding her or anything else personal. KWIM?}
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 9:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Sure, I can attest to it personally. I find myself skipping questions that I might have answered previously. I can be shy when it comes to personal issues, so if I can't answer anonymously, I may not answer it at all. Also, I tend to stay away (mostly) from any question that has potential controversy, whether it's politics, religion, breastfeeding, discipline, etc so even if I may have an answer that would provide some insight, I will likely skip it now.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No. I've really enjoyed the helpful answers ppl are giving instead of the rude, snarky comments ppl were posting anon. FYI the anon button, you earn the right to ask anon later after you have more credits, isn't really anon. If you go to your transcript you can see who asked the ? once you respond to them. I think its funny when ppl are posting anon, we can still figure out who you are! If you're not gonna say it when ppl know who you are then you shouldn't say it @ all. Besides, this is an online forum, how many of us know ppl we respond to in real life? Those that get soooooooo caught up & bent out of shape bc others don't agree w/ them probably shouldn't be posting anyways, now that the responses are thought out & not just bashing.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think it makes everyone take ownership of their answers. I wish they would get rid of the anon. button completely for answers. Its kind of nice at the moment. I've noticed that when people disagree with the majority, it tends to be written more diplomatically now instead of so nasty and harsh. Well, there are always those that don't care and still like to stir the pot but at least you know who you are dealing with. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. Just own it.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, i don't. I think it will help people be a little more careful what they say.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't mind having the sole dissenting opinion!!! LOL My opinions are just that....mine!! I am simply careful not to insult--well intentionally, anyway--some people are just too think skinned, and don't like it when you disagree with them, but that's what you get when you decided to put yourself out there on the net! :o)

Five days into this new set up, and I like it! Those who don't like it, are either laying low, biting their tongues, have gone back to their groups/writing journals or have found other chat outlets! So I see it as a "win-win" situation.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I say whatever I have to say with my name showing or my screen name and my avatar. Sometimes I agree and when I do not I say whatever I think. Taking away the anonymous button has no affect on me. I like to own what I say or what is the point?

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010