Can anyone suggest a warm yellow paint color for walls?

I'm going nuts trying to find the right color that doesn't scream 'mustard' or is a bit too bland like light butter/cream for my living room. My upholstered furniture is white/creamy/taupy, I have an oriental rug in primarily red/burgundy colors and I have pops of color in my accent pieces so I just need a warm yellow to provide a calm backdrop. I also have lots of light to due to a 12'-wide picture window. Any thoughts? Thanx!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I actually think selecting a warm yellow against taupe furniture would look too washed out--especially in naturally lit room! I would instead pull a red/burgundy color out from your area rug--to make the furniture stand out, and pull your accent pieces together.

I selected a deep "barn red" from the Martha Stewart paint collection at Sherwin Williams for our family room--which has a large 6 x foot triple casement window, a single side casement window, a floor to ceiling fireplace, and a half wall. Because their is so little paintable wall space, the deep red, while certainly bold, is more of an accent color--when you consider that we also have a lot of chunky white (actually cream colored which looks white but not as harsh) moulding around.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• have you tried going to Lowes? I found my perfect colors there!!!!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 9:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• lots of yellows
    try to see if any other color is in room, maybe colors of objects
    a bit of blue or green in the yellow will tone down
    or a touch of red/orange will deepen
    avoid to much white as it will look chauky
    too bright and too much pure yellow with no toned down color in will make it too sun shine yellow like daycare

hard to advise in words
    do not be afraid to orange the yellow up a bit IMO
    with all the light you get you can go deeper/darker

go to library and in magazine section look through home design mags, th eones where people have too much money and rededsign every other year with designer that coast a fornune, rip off their ideas
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would not look for a specific yellow shade. I would look at the whites on the color wheel for one with a hint of yellow. Especially if the room is already bright. My sister did Benjamin Moore Linen White and it has a cast of yellow and is really pretty. I did Antique White and it has a true hint of pink. I tried the lightest yellow I could find for a bedroom & it came up like a yellow highlighter marker. It was horrendous. I had to paint over it twice to cover it. Talk to someone at a local paint store near you, they will recommend something.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2010