What have you done or what would you do?

My 11 yo was looking up information on Teen chatrooms. I found out and we talked about the pros and cons and the dangers 'again' and told her we would look into chatting when she gets a bit older. Would you let your kid chat w/strangers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• No "chatting" allowed in our house
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 9:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• no way! theres no reason to!
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• not with strangers=no

is there a site where she can chat with friends
    like facebook, you can make info not aval to everyone, you can be her friend, or have her supply password so you can check

or
    texting on phone with friends

other options than chat rooms
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't let my kid go into chat rooms. If my child wanted to get on facebook so they could chat with friends, that would be one thing, but even then I'd make them wait until they were 13 or older.
    There are just to many dangers for kids on the web.
    cfdm3s_mommy

Answer by cfdm3s_mommy at 9:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My kids aren't old enough for that but when they do get to an agae when they can I won't allow it. That is inviting trouble into our home. No way.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Mine does it all the time. He has been told about the dangers. I have watched him chat. The computer is in the living room, so, I can watch. He is also very mature and intelligent for his age. Not to mention, we know a kid that was killed by a man driving a taxi that posed as a young girl to lure him away. So, he knows full well what can and does happen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't have an 11 yo yet, but I would be cautious about letting her chat with strangers. I don't know much about chat, but is there a way to simply chat with her friends (such as controlled attendance?)
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 9:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• no way!!!!! she;s way to young and even if she is mature enough these things arent bout maturity! they just start one casual conversation and its downhill from there. If she wants to chat then maybe a monitored facebook account or something like that. Still even that is not advisable for a 12 yr old! keep her off the web as long as possible
    dyael

Answer by dyael at 9:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• sorry meant 11 yr old=)
    dyael

Answer by dyael at 9:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Nope. And you should put some blocks in place if she is going to be using the computer.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2010