How To keep your teenager in line

How do you punish talking bac and insolence in a teenager?

gulfcoastmom4

Asked by gulfcoastmom4 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• you take any of their priveledges away like going out with friends, cell phone, use of the car, video games, door on their room.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Still to the rules and regulations. Keep communication open between you and the teen. Also if you're married or have a love one you live with keep them involved of what is going on. Work together as a team. I'm finding this out the hard way. Have family dinners Just to do family activities together at this stage friends come first. I'm finding out the hard way.....
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 10:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Every child has a "currency", which is some favorite thing that is most important to them. Could be more than one thing. You probably know what that is for your teen. Withhold that as consequence of bad behavior. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Take anything extra out of their room.....TV, Computer, everything but bed and dresser. Take away the cell phone, car keys, etc. Then lay down the law....he watches his mouth - he can earn things back. He must attend family dinners, family functions etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• This actually happened to me quite a bit with my older son - he's 15. I sent him to his room and refused to let him meet his friends that day. After about 30 minutes I calmed down and went into his room and had a heart to heart. There was no yelling, I explained that when he talks to me that way, he hurts my feelings. I also touched on the reason for his talking back, explaining why I was upset and hurt. I went into detail about how I don't ask for much; chores and details of is where abouts, I need to know where he is and how to reach him. I explained how I don't want our relationship to suffer because of the way he talks to me, and I worry that in the future we won't have a good relationship and that scares me and really hurts. I expressed that I don't want issues to go unresolved, when we are upset we're talking about. By the end he was crying, telling me how much he loves me. I haven't had a problem since.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• However if treating them like an adult and talking to them as you would an adult doesn't work, then I suggest what others have said, start taking away priviledges, the most important. I've found I've had a much happier home when I started treating them like adults, talking, explain and heartful meaning has more impact than anything else I've done in the past.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• take away any priviledges like: cellphone, going anywhere with friends, video games(if they are into them), TV time, computer time, and anything they like to do.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2010