How can I get my SD to wear a bra?

My SD has started growing in breasts, and she refuses to wear a bra. She is going to have to upgrade from "little girls" bras to the "big girls" ones soon, and gets mad if I ask her if she is wearing one when I know she's not. Any suggestions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• The day I realized my oldest was going to start needing to wear bras, l took her out to buy some. Luckily, she likes to wear them. But then I had a hard time getting her not to wear them with halter tops. A friend of mine saw this one day and was shocked that I didn't do something about it. I told her, "YOU tell her something" and she did. lol Since then, dd has been much more aware of when her bra is showing. Good thing... I thought. Then we noticed she wasn't wearing them whenever wearing white t-shirts. Ugh. I talked to her about it and she said all her bras showed through the white shirts. So I had to take her to buy some nude, we also found one that has interchangeable straps so now she can wear with halters. Yay!. Problems solved!
    Uhmm.... so I guess my answer for you is to talk to her about it. If she's not comfortable talking to you, maybe there's another woman she looks up to that could talk to her.
    Good luck.
    kharma

Answer by kharma at 2:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• no clue, but I was the same way...I hated the way they felt. I eventually caved in. Try sports bras...they were way more comfy.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Let her go..she will give in once she really has boobs and sees everyone else wearing one and her hanging and jiggly. LOL Just make sure she has a couple kinds to have and try.....Like PP said, a sports bra.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• have you taken her shopping, to let her help pick out some she thinks are cute? i honestly don't remember what i felt, or what my mom did..in fact, i waited two decades to upgrade to a real bra, for real boobalas. lol..i hate wearing them, too, but maybe she'll realize that they do come in fun colors/prints, and as she grows, she'll realize they do look better under clothing. if she grows a lot, she'll realize she needs the support a good bra gives.
    make it a fun shopping trip! take a friend with you who has already started wearing bras, also..to help persuade her in her purchasing. it may get pricey (lol), but you'll accomplish more with the help of an influential dd buddy, than you will coming out of her mom's mouth. you know how girls/daughters are!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Saw your response.... you think she is wearing thin and tight shirts to show them off? Are thin and tight shirts a new thing or is that just the type of shirt she could wear before without a problem? If she is trying to show them off you need a long conversation about the messages that could send to the wrong people, and how it could cause people to treat her differently.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i wouldn't let her leave the house until she puts one on. and take away the tight shirts until she can properly attire herself.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 11:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Why not get her the tanks/cami's with the built in bra's? she kina has no choice but to wear one then.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 1:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I hate bras. I hated them back in the day, and I loathe them now. Luckily, my boobs aren't very big, and I can get away with wearing a camisole with a shelf bra most of the time...so that's my suggestion for you - cami with a shelf!
    sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 3:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Take her shopping and get fitted? Maybe another person helping may make her less embarrassed.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Have your daughter wear a shirt that you can really notice she needs a bra and take a picture of her. Show it to her so she can see herself. Maybe she just doesn't realize its time. (then destroy the pix of course) There are so many cute and pretty bras out there for young girls now. Bright colors, lacy, cute fabric designs. Make it a special day and let her get some of the cutest ones she can find! It might be she is afraid of the change. Explain to her that her friends are changing too and next it will be menstruation. Lovely mood swings and acne. My daughter started in 5th grade. Oh the fun of it all.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2010