What do you pack a toddler for lunch?

Any Part time or full time working Moms out there who send their 1-2 yr olds to daycare have any good lunch ideas? My poor DD has been eating canned pasta for months. I got some linch meat to put into rolls for her but anything lse? I think she gets too much salt. Please help! thanks - Rachel

NHRachel

Asked by NHRachel at 10:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sandwhiches? cut up fruit..
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Do they have a fridge and microwave there? If so, just make extra when you're making dinner and put some in a container (like tupperware or gladware) and send it with her with some fruit.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Oh my gosh, you have to provide meals at daycare? I feed my kids. How about fruit and cheese kabobs, fruit cups, pudding, tortilla wraps- put pnb and jelly on it and roll it up, cottage cheese, sugar snap peas. Does she get things warmed up for her? You could make a meal of leftovers and put it in a covered sectioned plate and send it that way. IF she does make an english muffin pizza or meatballs-mashed potatoes and gravy.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son goes to my mothers while I am working, but I always make sure for lunch she has sandwich meat, and some cut up fruit. My son loves fruit, so I always have fresh fruit handy. If y our LO likes fruit, that is great to put in there.
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 10:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• cheese cubes with crackers, or string cheese (instead of pulling apart the strings for my 20 month old, I just cut it into little pieces), if she's proficient with a spoon you could send yogurt, raisins or other dried fruits, mix of dry cereals (I make my own "trail mix" out of whatever cereal is almost gone - cheerios, mini shredded wheat, etc.)

Answer by missanc at 11:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I dunno, my son gets his lunch provided when he goes. But I would send him whatever he likes. Do they heat it up for you or is it a "cold" lunch??
    If it's something cold I would probably send a sandwich, fruit, and something to drink.
    If they have a microwave to heat it up I would probably just send left overs... most likely things i know he likes like Pasta, mashed potatoes or whatever we have on hand.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• we provided the food at the child care center my son used to go to. i really liked that because that way i knew he was eating healthy. but it was a lot of work too. you are probably right about too much salt because canned foods usually have loads of sodium.

he was there from the time he was 4 mos until he was about 1.5 yrs old. when he was younger, i would take just pureed stuff obviously. when he was older, i would take all different stuff

-pasta w/ tomato sauce (and maybe ground beef), peas, cheese, peaches
    -whole wheat tortilla, turkey lunch meat, cheese, corn, apples
    -left over chicken breast (cut up in little pieces), green beans, whole wheat bread, cut up grapes

those are just some idea. with the fruits, i always would cut up and steam the fruits ahead of time in a microsteamer. we also took snacks so i would take things like cheese and crackers, cheerios, yogurt.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• She goes to daycare that is an in home situation and it is at least half to 1/3 the price of all the others in the area, so I don't mind providing her food. And if she doesn't want what I pack "Nana" will feed her something else. I get her the fruit cups and she always has that and Nana provides juice and milk for them. She would heat up anything or finish any prep that is needed. I just worry that she doesn't get enough becaus the days I'm home with her she sometimes wants to eat all day. Now that it's warmer out, not as much though.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome - thank you
    NHRachel

Comment by NHRachel (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Cheese cubes, banana, yogurt, cottage cheese, quesadilla, and if all else fails, frozen blueberry pancakes.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010