Bikini or brazilin wax?

For the first time im really scared but my hubby really wants it done should I go bikini or brazilin? And is $60 a good price for bikini wax?

anh2231

Asked by anh2231 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I remove hair for a living, lol. Really , I do. Depending on where you live, you'll probably pay anywhere from 25-45 for a regular bikini wax, and 35-80 for a brazilian. YES, some people DO swell on the area for up to 2 or 3 days afterwards, with accompanying tenderness in that area if you typically have sensitive skin. Be sure to take an antiflammatory like stated above about 45 minutes prior to your appointment, and NO DRINKING of alcoholic beverages before you come because that tends to make some people bleed a tad (from the follicles to where the hair is removed).Also, depending on the line of products your spa carries, some companys like Gigi Honey offer a "before" numbing spray they can coat you with to help desensitize the area before hand. Look into that. ALSO, make sure they dust the area with a little bit of powder after they cleanse you- it helps to create a barrier btwn you and the wax, good luck!
    Lipstk713

Answer by Lipstk713 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i'm not sure what good price is for that, as my fellow stylists/aesteticians always did each other gratis in the salon. it sounds a little much for just a bikini wax. i'd think the brazilian would be more.. if you've never experienced it, i'd go with regular bikini this time. maybe upgrade to brazilian next visit, after you know what it feels like. (not the pain, necessarily, but how it actually feels)
    how about having him get some waxing done, too? what's good for the goose, is good for the gander. i mean, really, i hate all that hair down there..on any body!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• do bikini first.... then bump it up if you can take it. i was 9 mos pregnant and needed a brazilian... i didnt last through it. but i will tell you if i could it would be so worth it!! where i was waxed is still thin and barely growing back and its been 3 mos.
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• What about the pain? Does it swell really bad?
    anh2231

Comment by anh2231 (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• it shouldn't swell at all, unless you're super-sensitive. ask around your friends to see who's had it done, where and by who..you'll want an experienced person doing it, one that does it regularly, like an aestetician. don't shave beforehand, you'll want a little length for the was to grab onto (ouch..not really that bad, j/k!). if you're really hairy, you can trim it with scissors first, or the waxer may do this anyway, for a cleaner pull.
    some may have little gel packs to use after-wax, for cooling the area. there's all kinds of creams/products they can use, too, to calm the redness, if you experience that. if your skin is sensitive, you might react to a wax, especially down there. that's why i suggest getting references, rather than walking in any salon.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i found a price for $35 bikni thats good right? if i want to look good by the 28th of july is it to early to be waxed the 13th?
    anh2231

Comment by anh2231 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It doesn't swell at all. I get a brazilian done every 5-6 weeks for $45 plus tip at a great salon, so a bikini should be less. If this is your first time getting waxed, then the 13th is probably too early to still be smooth by the 28th. I would go no more than a week before. The longer you continue to wax, the less hair grows back and the slower it grows back but when you first start out you need to go every 3-4 weeks. The pain is there, but it's definitely worth it not to have shave everyday!

Answer by missanc at 11:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm a fan of the brazilian... I see no point in the bikini because you still have to shave. But they are more painful and more expensive... Either way you want to make sure you are having it done between 10 and 14 days after your period ends - around your period you are more sensitive to pain in those areas. Make sure to wash the entire area before you leave with WARM - not hot - water and make sure to exfoliate the area with a light exfoliater cream or cleanser (whatever you use for your face is fine) but do NOT moisturize... This will help stop the wax from sticking to your skin and help with some of the swelling and pain. Lastly, take a Tylenol or aspirin 30 - 45 mins before having it done... And remember to BREATH! Your first time is scary, but there is no need... You had kids, this isn't half as bad!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:36 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• had a epidural for kids though lol
    anh2231

Comment by anh2231 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I couldn't stand the pain! So I'm not sure what a good price is.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010