My 4 year old son still can't say L's and R's. Should I be concerned?

I thought surely by now he'd be able to say everything correctly.

If you had a child who had trouble with some sounds, when did they get the hang of them?

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 10:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is perfectly normal! My DS is in a great preschool and was given speech, I was worried about the same thing, but they say, alot of kids can't pronounce all the sounds until 5 or 6!

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Many children have a problem with letter sounds. Many are normal until 8 years old (per my son's speech therapist). You can get him evaluated if you like. Talk to your pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric speech therapist.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son had to go to speach therapy in elementary school.He had his C's and T's mixed up.Cat was TAt.But at speach therapy they played games and had fun.So it wasn't the kind of thing where the other kids made fun of him.they were jealous.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son still has trouble at 4. I'm not concerned because my daughter was even worse going into kindergarten. They evaluated her for speech therapy, but decided she didn't need it. They said she would outgrow it. Sure enough, by the end of kindergarten her speech improved dramatically. Now she just finished first grade and speaks perfectly.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i have heard, i don't know for sure, that these can develop later for some, and it is not a problem. if your child is going to a public preschool, a speech therapist will probably sit with him once to evaluate though, and hearing will probably be checked. in MI it has to be checked before kindergarten.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My daughter has had some trouble with L's and R's also. She will be 5 in July. When you are talking with him, have him slow down a little when it comes to those sounds. Let him see how your mouth and tongue moves when you slowly pronounce the L's and R's. Work on slowing down and carefully pronouncing it with him a little every day and you should see some improvement. If not, you could talk to your Ped about what else he would recommend.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My 3 year old can't do F's. I used to think it was cute and he'd eventually get it....but the closer he gets to four the more it concerns me. I'm interested to see some answers too.
    brykev

Answer by brykev at 10:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I had problems saying my m's and r's until I was 6. I remember my school wanting to put me in speech therapy but my mom and my pediatrician thought it was unnecessary. By the time I was 7 I could say everything normal. I wouldn't worry if I was you, but maybe mention it to the pediatrician at his next check up.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would ask your pediatrician. It is true that some kids develop certain sounds later than others, but it's also true that if the sounds aren't corrected by a certain age it makes it much harder for the kids to ever learn to say those letters correctly. The "professionals" told my sister not to worry about my niece's speech, that it would clear up in time - but she's now 8 and it hasn't cleared up at all and the speech therapist told my sister she should have brought her in much sooner!

Answer by missanc at 12:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thanks for your answers, ladies!
    CaseyErin

Comment by CaseyErin (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2010