• In the Spotlight:

Do you think 10 is old enough?

Okay, I only have one child, and I will be the first to admit I am overprotective. Do you think 10 is old enough to "stay over" at a friend's house for the night? My son has never stayed over anywhere except for my family's or his Dad's families. However, in the last couple of months he has been asking to stay over at friend's houses. As of now, I have not let him, I always tell him to ask them over our house instead, but I know eventually he will want to. So what do you think? Is 10 old enough?

mommy11260

Asked by mommy11260 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I think its the perfect age to start spending the night at a friends house. My son had his first sleep over at his frieds house a few months ago...he's 10 too. Before then, I always had him invite friends to stay here instead. He had a blast...and felt kinda teary eyed..but I got over it,lol. Its good for the kids to see how other families live and stuff. My only worry is that my son won't act right or listen to another adult...but he has been pretty good, thank God,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yes. absolutely. just meet the parents...call and check on him also if you are nervous.
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, it's old enough.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• for sure def!!! lol. i was like 6 or 7
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my 9 yr old dd stays overnight @ her friends...she has since she was 7 or so...my youngest dd is 6 and she just started spending the night @ friends... So yes, 10 is old enough.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yes that's old enough. I would want to know the parents though.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, ten is defiantly old enough as long as you at least meet the parents and make sure they will be there with them.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think it depends. My dd's only 14 mo so I haven't even come close to figuring this out for me but I wouldn't let my kid stay over @ someone's house that I didn't know well. For me its not enough to meet them once or talk to them over the phone, my parents did this w/ me when I was a teenager & I abused the hell out of their trust that the parents were going to be responsible. I did sooooo many things over @ other ppls houses I'd never have gotten away w/ @ mine cuz their parents weren't as strict as mine. @ 10 I don't think you need to worry about things like whether or not the parents are going to let them drink but something to keep in the back of your mind as he gets older. If this is a family you've known for a while & you trust them I think your son's old enough to go. Me personally, I'm not comfortable w/ the thought of my dd sleeping @ someone else's house. You can play as late as you want but sleep in your own bed.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010