How would you feel?

Okay, since I was little, I've had the fear of birds or mice getting on me. This is because where we lived, mice and rats use to come up from the basement and get on my bed or on our furniture and this would scare me to death. And sometimes, if we had the windows open, a bird might fly in and we'd run from it. This has stayed with me all my life. Well, today, I get up to go in my kitchen to take some garbage, and a bird is flying around from my kitchen to my living room.I was hysterical! i tried to get my stepdaughter to help, she wouldn't wake up. My stepson either. I called my hubby, he says, it's just a bird, i'm telling him,i'm scared, he says, do you want me to hang up this phone on you, i was so hurt, i said, you don't have to hang up, i will. I am crying now as i write this. To think all i do for this family, they couldn't help me when i was scared just blows me away. i do't want to talk to any of them.

mrs2323

Asked by mrs2323 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• this blows!
    if you lived close i would take care of bird for you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• people do not understand a fear that is unusual
    but they can be sensitive when they know your fear and can hear it in your voice

i am mad at your husband too!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My husband is in law enforcement and gets calls to remove bats all the time. A bird would be no different. Next time call them and they will come help you out or help you know who will. I feel so bad for you. Your husband needs a serious attitude adjustment! Maybe a week of no laundry or maybe washing his undies with fiberglass curtains would do the trick!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would sit my DH down tonight when he gets home (maybe after he has had a chance to settle in from work) and have a heart to heart with him and explain how much it hurt you when he dismissed your fears not matter how irrational they seemed to him. I would make every attempt to use "it made me feel ..." statements. I know with my DH that seems to get his attention better than anything else. They do love us even if they can be insensitive clods at times...
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If you don't want to talk to any of them, then don't talk to any of them. If the bird is still in the house, leave the house and don't come back until someone has taken care of the bird, which will be after it has pooped all over absolutely everything. And don't you be the one to clean up the bird poop either. My guess is that you have spoiled this bunch and they can't be bothered to do anything for you. My suggestion is that you stop being so accomodating, at least until someone is willing to occasionally return the favor. Set yourself some boundaries and then enforce them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't understand why the kids would not wake up? Were they dead? I would have kicked their butts right out of their bed and rolled them on the floor, they would have woke up believe me! Your husband probably does not understand the depth of your fear. We don't know him so we don't know what he was thinking, but most likely he was thinking that you were just over reacting, because he doesn't understand. Have you sat down and explained the phobia to him? If not, then you really need to so he can understand if it happens in the future. I think I'm more upset by the lack of action by your stepkids, but I don't know their ages either. What exactly was your husband suppose to do for you as he was at work? Yes, he could have helped calm you down and suggested an action, but he couldn't just rush home because of a bird. Yep, I'd tell those kids they weren't getting anything else from me if they couldn't help out.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 11:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yea that's pretty rotten that your family didn't care enough to help you. Even if you weren't scared of them they could've done something to help. That's pretty low of them to be so cold towards you like that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm sorry but I know how u feel I hate rats.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thank you, ladies. Your responses made me feel alot better. I laid in my bed and cried for awhile, then, I snuck down the stairs and got my dog out of the basement, got him to run around with me. When i screamed the dog ran under the bed upstairs. I just prayed for god to give me the strength, opened the back door, made noise so the bird would get scared, he flew back and forth and finally flew out the door. I feel better now, but just the thought that they wouldn't help me, makes me think that i have to evaluate how people treat me and how i should treat them.
    mrs2323

Comment by mrs2323 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My husband had called
    me back, I wanted him to listen to me and tell me what to do, but instead, he threaten to hang up on me. Of course he couldn't come take care of the bird, but to be so cold and say it's just a bird was inconsiderate of how i was feeling.
    mrs2323

Comment by mrs2323 (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2010