Immunizations... How do you feel about children attending your child's daycare with them that haven't gotten their shots?

Just curious... I personally have mixed feelings about the amount of vaccinations children are required to get at such an early age. But for the most part I have kids that have gotten their shots when suggested. How would it make you feel as a parent if your preschool or daycare had children in attendance that haven't had their shots. Measles, H1N1, Influenza, Polio, Whooping Cough, etc..

I know the dangers of the immunizations and all of those details so no need to go that route on this question. Would you be comfortable having your child here.

Lifes-A-Dance

Asked by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I visited a few pre-schools before I selected one for my DS. They all require proof of vaccination and I really appreciate this for the reasons described by Lifes-A-Dance. Peanutsmommy1, If Parents ask if the other children going to a Daycare are vaccinated, the daycare provider has to be honest. Why would they lie? I would want to know and have asked the same question myself. I brought my DS to a Library Toddler Playtime last summer. We were there playing and a Foreign man brought in his daughter. She was covered with red sores from head to toe. Around her neck & the insides of her arms where your arm bends inside the elbows were tremendously swollen the sores were bright red. I grabbed my Son and left immediately as well as many of the other Mom's & children. I have no idea what she had but it looked very bad. It may have been Chicken Pox although It did not look like it or Bed Bug bites?? I was pissed.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If my child was vaccinated, why should I be worried that yours isn't?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• if people have confidence in the vaccinations they give their children, there really should be no cause for concern

plus, you have no idea who is and isn't vaccinated, the daycare can't tell you anyways
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Well mine is vaccinated so it doesn't matter. Whatever they drag in he can't catch.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Most young children are not completely covered with vaccinations until they start getting boosters. My 4 year old should now be completely vaccinated but my 6 month old, though having gotten her vaccines on schedule will not be completely protected until she is 4.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My kids aren't vaccinated, of course they also aren't in daycare, but if they were I would hope there were kids there who's parents didn't put them through vaccines. I would prefer my children spent time with kids who weren't vaccinated, but I don't really care either way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Some vaccines are totally ineffective. Mumps being one of them. Whenever there is a mumps outbreak it is always in a vaccinated community.

We delay and selectively vaccinate our children. I started vaccinations with my daughter when she started attending a daycare. Just because kids are vaxed doesn't mean they don't carry the illnesses, and some are contracted from the environment (tetanus, for example), and some vaxed kids even HAVE the illnesses they've been vaxed for.

In the end, you can't trust anything or anyone on this topic lol. Vaccines only REDUCE your child's risk, not eliminate it. It's important to remember that!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Cont: That is why I have fully vaccinated my Son. There are many people traveling to and from foreign Countries more than ever. They are bringing back in many of these once eradicated diseases. I had Chicken Pox very bad when I was 13 and what that little girl had looked nothing like what I had. I have no idea what it was and her nose was still running and she acted very lethargic. Here in the NY suburbs, there was a local Women who went to Israel on Vacation with her infant. She returned when her child got sick. Back here, she found out the child had measles which she had not been vaccinated for. The child was hospitalized and I don't know if she recovered. The local news put out an alert with all the places that the woman had visited upon returning with her daughter before she realized how sick she was. The Mall, Hair Salon, Restaurants, Daycare, Supermarket. That is how uncommon diseases spread. It is very scary.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't want my children in a place with others who weren't vaccinated. As for why, until a certain age children aren't fully protected. They could come into contact with a child that has something the younger child is not vaccinated against yet. I have yet to see any convincing research that vaccines are anywhere near as dangerous as not vaccinating.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It doesn't matter to me. My kids don't get the flu shot, pneumonia shot, or the H1N1 shot but, they get the rest. They aren't on any schedule.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010