Why is suicide illegal or considered wrong?

I've always wondered this. I believe people should have a right to choose. Their body, their life, their choice.

Opinions?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 10:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know about other states, but here in Oregon it isn't illegal...heck the state will even assist you! Not only is assisted suicide legal, but patients in the state healthcare system can receive a state paid for suicide if their treatments are too expensive. There have been 2 high profile cases of people denied care and offered a little pill instead.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Its always amused me that suicide is against the law. How exactly do you intend to punish the offender? Not bury them? Bring them back to life so you can put them in jail? I think when & why they're contemplating suicide is the key for me. Teenage angst is fleeting & they'll get over it. End of life suicide I believe should be widely available. Always thought it was amusing that we could put down dogs & cats humanely but we're forcing humans to suffer horrible painful life changing diseases. Frankly when it gets to the end for me, if I have an incurable, inoperable disease I don't see the point of bankrupting my family just to prolong my life for a couple of weeks. Suicide sounds like a much more humane option to me!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• the illegal part has always confused me LOL I don't understand how they could arrest someone for doing it nor have I seen anyone arrested for attempting and failing.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• What the oxymoron to me is ... So people cannot kill themselves but can kill the unborn. That really makes a whole lotta sense to me.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It may have something to do with the fact that if they have a family, the government has to pay that family a lot of money. My dad killed himself and me, my mom and my brother got a check every month. Mine stopped when I turned 18, so I got it for 10 years. Mom's stopped after she re-married, so she got it 9 years, and my brother still gets it b/c he's disabled.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Suicide is not against the law in any state. The last two states removed suicide as a law in the 1990s.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think that is consider illegal in the way someone takes there life. If you are putting someone in harms way trying to off your self I can see how it is. But that is the only thing if I knew someone who was going to do i would stop them everyone has somethinf or someone to live for. That they are loved and are needed.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I knew two people whom I was personally close to who committed suicide--in 1998 and 2007--both lived in NJ. I didn't realize that the iaw against suicide had been changed in every state. But I always thought it had to do with life insurance payouts...and to prevent nefarious exes and bitter spouses from being able to make a murder LOOK like a suicide and collect the insurance money. I've watched too many "TruCrime" shows!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Forgot to add that some religions do not accept suicide. The one person I knew was Jewish, and some of his survivors did not accept his suicide, and refused to attend his services and burial.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Renea20 I don't think the government pays your family. I didn't get money when my mom died, your dad probably had social security or life insurance or even invested in something and your receiving money from them.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2010