baby twitching and jerking?

he is about 3mos old. he gasps and scares himself sometimes... normal? also he jerks a lot...like when he is playing on the floor - or falling asleep - basically anytime. is this normal? does your baby do it???

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest did it, but my older did not. It worried me and I talked to her ped about it. He ended up telling me it's normal because their nervous system is still forming, but to keep an eye on it and if it got worse or didn't go away by 6 months or so to bring it up again so we could begin monitoring it more closely. It ended up going away around 4 or 5 months for her.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Normal. My 3 month old scares her self when she makes sounds sometimes. I don't think she's used to "talking" yet. Lol! I don't know about the jerking. My baby jerks her arms and legs sometimes since she doesn't quite have control of them yet. But, that's about it.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son used to jerk all the time especially when he was trying to fall asleep, I never worried about it through because my husband does the same thing
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 11:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Babies that young still forget to breathe. It's normal for them to gasp when they realize they haven't taken a breath. Just as long as they do realize it. It depends on what kind of jerking. They still are getting used to how their body moves, so what may look like jerking is them realizing "Hey I can move that." So if it really worries you then bring it up to the baby's Pedi, but it's most likely just them learning how to move their body and control their movements.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son did but it was discovered he had a neurological disorder. Talk to your doctor and good luck.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 11:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2010