Grounding

Have you ever sent your child to his or her room for 1/2 day or a full day as a punishment? That is if your child has nothing in their room to play with. Like no tv, computer, games, etc. I wonder if it's better to let them roam the house grounding them from computer, tv, games etc. so they can actually 'see' what they are missing out on??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yep!! Half day because he played with a lighter and lit a piece of paper on fire in my living room.
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 11:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No - I make her do stuff around the house like clean my baseboards!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yes most definitely grounding them in there room is okay for them because in a way its there own personal sanctuary if they are near the things they like they have the urge to do them but they cant
    Italiana88

Answer by Italiana88 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't make my kids stay in their room, but I do ground them from the tv, computer, trampoline, basketball goal, pool, etc.

Answer by missanc at 11:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you have to do whatever works for your family- I used to take away technology and have him earn it back. Sending him to his room also works.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, they go to their room for grounding.  If they are allowed to wander the house then they can still watch TV since the other kids are still watching.  Either the misbehaving kid goes to his/her room or ALL the kids get punished for what that 1 kid did.  To them it's not a punishment unless they are grounded to their rooms.  All that they have in there (usually are toys and books...no games, no electronics, etc).

If they continue to misbehave they are grounded to their beds and aren't allowed to touch the toys but can read.  They hate that.  They hate knowing that their siblings are sitting in the living room waching a favorite movie while they are in their room.  My 10yo spends a lot of time grounded to her room because she refuses to behave.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It depends on what they did. Usually it's time out, or taking away toys and the TV. They're the type of kids that can entertain themselves in their rooms so it's not much of a punishment but to hear the words "No TV, No Toys" send them into a fit of tears and anger which makes them behave better.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010