When it comes to all the carseat safety stuff does anyone else think...

that if most people don't install them correctly, most people don't tighten the straps correctly, that adding anything like a Bundle Me or coat makes them unsafe, etc. etc. that maybe the carseat manufacturers need to take some responsibility and come up with a new design? And by the way I do rearface my children for 2 years and try my best to install them correctly and use them correctly every time, so please don't bash me and accuse me of making excuses not to.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that there really needs to be more education about carseat safety. I also think that all parents need to actually read their carseat manual and the section in their vehicle's manual about installing carseats!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, I believe that PARENTS should be held responsible... that it should be required that they have the seats installed properly, and must show proof. Just like their License and Registration.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• why should car seat companies have to redesign their car seats? It takes tons of time and money to design and test a car seat, parents just need to be more educated....

It's like saying firework companies need to redesign fireworks because people get hurt from misuse....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think that it's a learning process. Eventually these little-known facts about carseat safety will be wider known, but for now, the general population is still getting used to the concept that a carseat is so much safer in general or that rear facing is the best way to go. It only recently became mandatory for everyone in a car to wear a seatbelt in my state. I'm only 20 and I remember being told that I was old enough to not have to wear a seatbelt in the car.

If anything, I think there should just be more PSA's about car seats and more effort put into educating people. Times change and people don't know what to follow.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 11:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't think it is their fault there are so many after market products for car seats. People are just not educated well enough in car seat safety IMO
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Oh I totally understand your concern. I had to take a training put on by our state to learn how to properly install carseats. While some of the problem is with the carseats, its also because there are so many different kinds of cars, trucks and vehicles you need to install them in. If someone would have taped our class doing all of this, we could have been on America's Funniest Videos and been $10,000 richer! Some ambulance services and law enforcement departments can put them in for you, but the liability of installing it for a parent is ridiculous. I can show you how to put in the carseat but then I have to remove it so you do it yourself. Because if you are in an accident, you can hold me liable. Lovely world we live in...
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Ati
    2 words.. polar fleece
    we live in Mi, and my DS has never worn a winter coat in the car, I just take it along for when we get to school
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think it's still the parent's responsibility.

Winter coats - put them on the child, once the car is warmed up, take it off :) Sure, PITA, and a little added work, but where safety is concerned, what's a little extra work gonna hurt? I do think our car seat companies should revamp their designs...we're supposedly one of the most advanced nations, yet Sweden has car seats to accommodate children at MUCH higher weights than the USA...and their fatality rates for children in MVA's is so much LOWER than ours. More often than not, when a child dies in a MVA there, it's because the crash was so severe that there weren't any other survivors either.

I also think that we need more CPST's. Just because your fire department installs car seats, that doesn't men they're CERTIFIED to do it. I ALWAYS have a CPST at our local CHP install our seats. He knows what he's doing better than me. It's a part of his JOB.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'd also like to add that one of my good friends and I are Navy wives, and we're going to talk to our MWR office and coordinate with the CPST at the CHP office to do some kind of car seat awareness event so that more parent's on our base know how to properly use their car seats, and our CHP officer will install them correctly.

I'm all for pro-active education. More parents will know how to properly use them if we educated them, right? Well, that's our hope anyway!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Your local fire department knows how to install them correctly, have them do it. Its a free service.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2010