Scheduling

I want to try and put my baby on a schedule, she is only a month old, but at night she has a schedule. It's during the day that i'm worried about, we are always running somewhere, and people are always messing up the schedule i'm trying to put her on. What would you suggest i do? and How strict of a sleep and eat schedule should i put her on?

Chloes_momma531

Asked by Chloes_momma531 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It has been my experience that a child can't be put on a schedule. Especially an infant. They eat, drink, sleep, wet, mess, cry, etc... however they need to. Yes a busy schedule will directly affect those needs and when they need them. Let your child settle into their own individual schedule and you can change your life accordingly. It has been my experience that babies can become very fussy if you don't meet their needs when they want it. IMO
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• give the 1st feeding at the same time every morning. even if she just recently ate..... example - every morning at 7 do a feeding. evenly space them apart after that. (2 hours) eventuall she will get used to it and get a rythm going.... gradually spread them out longer... more of a routine.... it works for us. everyone will tell you something different. do what feels right... my son is 3 months. he eats every hours. we always start at the same time in the a.m. and end the same in the p.m. he is doing great. hes happy. i'm happy. :)
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• All 4 of my kids were schedule babies. I planned my errand running, appointments, etc. around their sleep/eating schedules. I knew when they would be awake and when they would be hungry and it made my life SO much easier than always having to rearrange everything because he/she was hungry when I had planned on heading to the grocery store or going out to lunch. My babies ate every 3 hours (give or take 1/2 hour) then stayed awake until they were fussy, then went to bed until the next time to eat (which I would wake them up for so they got their calories in during the day and would sleep at night). Compared to other babies on here, it's a fairly strict schedule but compared to my friends and their kids it really wasn't. The schedule became increasingly important as I had more kids to take care of and needed to plan for their appts as well - I have 4 now and will have 5 as of next week!

Answer by missanc at 11:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I just let my boy do his own thing when he was younger - he got himself in a schedule that worked for him, and I lived my life around it. I'm a SAHM, though, and I don't drive or have any other real responsibilities - DS is our only child right now, so I wasn't trying to juggle around anyone else's schedule but his.
    When he hit about 2, though, and my husband started working a different shift, and things like that changed, I adjusted his schedule to those changes.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i did the same thing but it only starts working around 3 months right now she is in her own world. u can try staying at home and have people come to you! it takes some work but it really helps in the long run! my daughter is up everyday at 9 am and she eats about every 3 hours or so and goes to bed at 9pm! it works for us and she has slept all night long since 2 months old! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• A warning if you're breastfeeding...schedules are known supply killers. If breastfeeding. no schedules. If formula feeding, expect it to take a while for the schedule to "take." POssibly a few months. Or longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't do schedules. Life isn't a schedule and I like knowing that if I have to go out at 2:00 unexpectedly, I don't have to worry about "nap time" or "feeding time". When I go out we just go out. If she's tired she'll nap anywhere I am in our wrap or mei tai, or in the carseat. If she is hungry we breastfeed wherever and whenever. If I am at lunch (now that she is 9 months old) I give her samples of my meals or order her a side of a fruit or veggies. it is really easy and it leaves so much flexibility. When she was younger and we were visiting family, i didn't let anyone interfere with feeding. If she was hungry she was breastfed.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Let your baby help you set the schedule. A month is a little young, honestly. You'll find, however, that your little one will start to establish her schedule on her own. Both my kids ended up on a pseudo-schedule of their own doing. I fed when they were hungry. I watched for sleepiness cues for naps. After a couple of months there was an obvious pattern. They were always hungry at the same time. Always sleepy around the dame time.

There are pros and cons to creating a schedule with infants/toddlers. As amileegirl said, there are times when you're going to need to be flexible. If you're too locked into a schedule (and therefore you child becomes locked in to it) it's going to be hard to get to that doctor's appointment that happens to fall during a regular nap time without massive cranky kid issues. You're flexibility is going to instill the same in your child.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 5:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010