• In the Spotlight:

Would you rather dress your kids

trying this question again, I'm not looking for in betweens I just want to know of the two extremes which would you rather, which do you care about more, the cost or the cuteness.
Would you rather dress your child
In plain potentially out of style but free clothes, or spend some extra money and have clothes that you think are really cute even though they're going to be outgrown in a matter of months or a year?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• free all the way!!! my daughter is only 18 months, she doesn't care about fashion, and frankly, neither do I! She still looks adorable, and I hate spending money on clothes she's going to outgrow and/or destroy with stains and such. I'd rather use the money I've saved on buying her clothes on some books & toys for her, or stash away those extra dollars in a savings account for her :)
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If I have the money then Ill buy him all new clothes. If he needs clothes but we are short on money then I don't mind buying clothes from the thrift store or yard sale.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If I *HAD* to choose between the two extremes, I'd probably go with plain and free. My kids aren't into clothing fads, so they wouldn't care if they weren't the latest style.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Since I have 5 boys give me the free clothes.
    And the new for my daughter.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'd pick slightly outdated, at least for now. My kids are young enough so that even the slightly outdated stuff still looks cute and acceptable. You really can't dress a toddler all that poorly! Plus, I have a hard time passing up the word "free."

If my kids were older, say 10 or 12, then I might just give in and say new stuff (but still at a decent price) if I HAD to chooose. In all honesty, it'll always be combo of the two, though!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 11:38 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'd spend some money and give him the cute clothes. I already do that, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'd stick with the plain and cost effective. First off my kids are young, and don't care what ehy wear, second, they mostly play outside, so not going to dress them insoemthing nice just so that it can get grass and dirt stains, and third... cute clothes now vrs a college education in the future..... yeah.. I know were my moneys going... hint... its not the cute clothes becuase in 12-18 years when we are looking at the cost of a college education, I have a feeling that my kids aren't going to say "gee mom, its okay taht you didn't save for my future because as a kid, I had really cute clothes!!"

Luckly the extreams are not the reality.. I can shop and find clothes at next to nothing prices and still dress my kids cute.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my son is spoiled and has alot of super cute clothes and expensive shoes.... His clothes cost more than mine lol I think it might be because he is my first
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• report answer
    + - I like for my girls to look good but I also find it unnecessary to spend a ridiculous amount of money on clothes that will get ruined or grown out of quickly. I find good deals and buy stuff on clearance right now while they are small. When they are older I will probably let them do what my mom did and buy a couple of expensive brand name things and pair them with cheaper clothes, if I can afford to of course.

So I guess I am saying cute.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• there is no "in between", your Q is a moot point, because those of us who DO opt for financial savings, do not generally compromise on style, for the sake of our children. Kids can be cruel... Anyway, you already got my answer.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2010