My doctor wants me to have an amniocentesis done to check my baby's lungs before a c-section.. Should I do it? Will it hurt? Miscarraige is a risk of this procedure. I am 38 weeks along.

mommy_0f_2_2010

Asked by mommy_0f_2_2010 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• what reason is he giving?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• At 38 weeks, miscarriages don't happen, still births would be the risk. You could deliver the baby just fine today with relatively few issues! I don't really see why that's necessary because he should have a fairly decent idea of where the lungs are in development, unless you are a special case.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 11:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. But I also don't see the point in getting it done.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I've never personally had one done, but my Aunt did. She says it is somewhat painful...not unbearable but uncomfortable. With a risk of miscarriage..ist thier another way th edoc could check the lungs? You know, I think with you being that far along in the pregnancy, I would skip the amnio...even if the babies lungs arent fully developed at this point..what would they have to do..just keep the baby in the hospital for a week or something. I think I'd rather do that than risk a miscarriage. :( Sorry for that tough decision you have to make! I wish everything were easy. Good Luck, and all the best to your and your baby.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Unless this was high risk pregnancy I wouldn't even consider it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Is there some reason he needs to give you a c-sections at 38 wks? Why can't he just wait until you are closer to your due date?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The reason they gave me was that the hospital waited too long to give me the first ultrasound so there is a chance that my due date is wrong. They dont want to schedule my csetion for the 39th week and find out I was 37 weeks or less is what was said..
    mommy_0f_2_2010

Comment by mommy_0f_2_2010 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Peanutsmommy, she already answered that lol.

Miscarriage is not a risk at 38 weeks, though the needle could potentially hurt your baby big time, even causing death. The risk of death is very small at this stage of pregnancy, but the risk of a needle stick is still significant.

It is important to know that your baby's lungs are mature... so why not wait for labor to start and THEN do the C-section? The number of reasons to SCHEDULE a C-section are really small, and include complete placenta previa, or severe medical conditions in mom that make labor dangerous. If you wait for baby to initiate labor you KNOW the lungs are developed and they get the benefit of contractions (contracting before a C-section reduces baby's risk of breathing difficulty).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• This was a high risk pregnancy. I hemorraged having my daughter. My blood wouldnt clot after they done an emergency csection due to her head getting stuck in the birth canal so I bled to death. Litteraly. I was dead for 2 minutes but my doctor wouldnt give up and ended up saving me.
    mommy_0f_2_2010

Comment by mommy_0f_2_2010 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• A history of hemmorhage makes it safer to try for VBAC, actually. You lose more blood during C-sections.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2010