Helps Mommy's!!!

My 19 month old son used to be sooo sweet! Well that changed! He screams all the time! He throws tempers and hits or pushes and stomps his feet and throws things. I will not spank him for screaming I don't believe that will do any good. I try to ignore him but when I do that he will throw things at me or hit to get my attention. Any ideas??? I want him to be sweet again :(

Brandi300

Asked by Brandi300 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a play pen or a highchair with straps you could place him in until he calms down? I try to just ignore the behavior by not making eye contact and walking away but since he is hitting you when he ignores you, I would place him in a place such as I've mentioned, to keep himself safe and so he doesnt break anything from the throwing stuff. Leave him be for a couple minutes then come back and try to divert his attention. When he calms down, pick him up and give him a hug and tell him hugs are "nice touches" or something like that.
    Good Luck...and count to a thousand several times a day..take breathers for yourself so you don't blow your top! lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Terrible two's. He will get over it and move on to something equally as annoying soon. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I know what you mean, but i've got twin boys hitting that age :(
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• OHH! terrible two's... Always fun... he will move on like other moms have said, just make sure that you try to give the bad behavior as little attention as possible so he will learn that behaving in such a way will not get him what he wants. You can remove him from the situation if possible... Also with three of my four children taking a exagerated hurt worked too..(one just laughed at me when I put on the "Ow.. you hurt me" tone) The other three usually did a flip flop and were suddenly sweet and giving me hugs and were sorry for "making mommy cry".
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Oh yeah, you've entered the terrible twos. I'll tell you what I do when my boy (2 1/2) doesn't calm down when he's upset - I put him in his bed and tell him I love him, but that he needs to calm down, and he can come back out when he stops screaming. Then I either go get him when I hear that he's calm or he comes to get me, and I hug him and tell him I love him, and we go on with our day. He's gotten to the point, now, when he gets mad he takes off running for his bed without me even having to say anything, and he'll cry a minute or two and then calm right down.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• (let it be said, though, lol, that I don't put him there the second he starts crying - I'm talking if he just ...won't ....stop, lol - when it gets so bad I want to pull my hair out (screaming just grates my nerves, I can't even think, its like its all I can hear), not just for a little fit, but for the big melt downs)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010