How do you transition from baby food to table foods?

My baby is 1o months old and in the 90% for weight and height. She puts all nonfoods in her mouth but not the food I put in front of her. She loves pureed baby food but if there is chunks in it she gags, spits it out and turns away from it. Foods on her tray she plays with or ignores but does not put in her mouth (puffs, fruit, tofu). She takes a bottle 3x a day. What can I do differently? Should I stop and try again in a couple of weeks? She is old enough for what I give her and has the pincer grasp but no interest in table foods or chunky food. I am in a bit of a panic as my 5 yr old is extremely picky and I blame it on me not introducing more textures to her early enough

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start out with really soft table foods, like mashed potatoes or cooked carrots. Flavors she's accustomed to will also be easiest for her. There is definitely a transitioning phase. I took good advantage of those (disgusting looking) "meal" baby foods they sell at the grocery store, more because I wanted my son to learn the texture of food than anything else. I was very methodical and slow with it, but he eventually got the hang of foods. Good luck!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 11:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Actually, she still needs mainly formula/breast milk and really doesn't even need real food. So, if she isn't interested, don't worry, just try in a few weeks. Pickiness has nothing to do with when and what you introduced. My son is picky and I gave him all sorts of food and textures early. He was holding and eating a kid burger at 9.5 months, but, he was/is still so dang picky it's insane.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with mickstinator. Start with very soft cooked foods that your baby especially likes in baby food consistency. Keep in mind that this is a learning phase. Try giving small amounts of table foods along with the same food in baby form. Some thoroughly steamed carrots along with the jar food for example. Some kids just have a harder time getting used to mashing food in their mouth and swallowing. Don't give up. When she's ready, it'll happen
    MaggiesMom208

Answer by MaggiesMom208 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We never did baby food. While some babies can go from puree to tablefood, some never learned to use their tongue to manipulate food. Feeding babies purees by spoon, by passes all of their reflexes designed to reject solids, so the haven't learn their gag reflex limits. If this is the case, self feeding will result is less gagging -- there is nothing wrong with gagging. it is more forward in their mouth than an adults. it isn't choking...gagging is what prevents choking.

I would stop all baby food and stop spoon feeding. Purees are bland with no texture. Food before 1 is for fun and experience, not nutrtion so don't worry if she doesn't eat much. formula/breastmilk is for nutrition. Put soft foods on her tray and let her enjoy. Avocado, ripe pear, sweet potato, butternut squash lightly fork mashed are good starters. Mealshare, don't have a separate time or meal for her. Don' stress.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Be aware, that some babies just lose their gag reflexes late and aren't much interested in solid foods until a year (or a few months after that). That isn't a big issue. And some naturally will reject solids if there are a history of allergies in the family or a reaction to foods in the past.

If you want to give your baby something by spoon, I suggest using a regular table spoon (we have a one with a wooden handle that makes gripping very easy), load it up, and give it to her to put into her own mouth. Hummus might be nice to try, but avocado sticks well too.

At 7 1/2 months my baby stole food from my plate and I began giving her samples of our meals (soft fruit/ veggies/squished beans) at 8 months she was able to handle halved blueberries and larger chunks like beans, a couple of weeks later she was picking up peas. So the progression can be very fast if you allow self feeding to be fun.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you way want to get a food mill. grind up what you are eating at dinner. add a little water/milk/formula to make it like the baby food she is used to and try that. there is a little texture, and different flavors for her to get used to.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 2:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Just wait a while; she'll transition when she's ready. "real" food is just for practice at this point anyway.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Just keep putting the food on her tray at every meal. Let her explore and eventually she will start putting it in her mouth. See if she will open her mouth for you if you pick up a piece and offer it to her. You feed her a few pieces, and then just let her explore. She'll eat it when she is ready!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• we slowly introduced new things. Both my dd's were practically begging for our food though so it wasn't too hard to get them to eat.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm surprised that she's only taking 3 bottles a day without eating much else. They need the formula for 12 months, but only 3 bottles may not be giving her enough of the "good fat" she needs for brain development. As far as textures, I agree with BradenIsMySon, I gave our son PLENTY of things when he was 9-18 months, but he starting phasing out his own dislikes. There are many things that he ate then that he will not eat now. However, he is still adding foods periodically. It's on HIS time schedule though, not ours. He used to eat chicken nuggets with fruit, but now (PTL!) he's suddenly found a PREFERENCE for celery! Who'd have thunk it! :) I wouldn't push it, Mama. She'll do it when she's ready.

PS-I agree with the poster who said gagging isn't choking, it's preventing choking. (But hard for mom to watch.)
    I also agree that at this point, food is for practice. She needs her formula (or breast milk)for the first 12 mos.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010