Why are we SCHEDULING so many cesarean sections?!

The number of reasons to SCHEDULE a c-section are really small... like complete placenta previa, or if mom has a severe medical condition, making labor dangerous for her (like hardcore heart conditions, etc). There is no benefit to scheduling a C-section for a breech baby, a repeat C-section, a birth anomaly, etc. In fact, babies whose mothers labor for a while before surgery have fewer breathing problems after birth! AND some problems (like breech) are sometimes corrected by labor itself.

So, other than convenience, why on earth are we scheduling C-sections so often?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• C sections are big business. Low intervention deliveries are not. The more things they can do to "help" means more money. Also when you have alot of interventions during labor you often end up needing a c section because the baby can be traumatized causing problems with natural labor and delivery.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I had to have c-sections for my last two (I have four) because I am too narrow. My second got stuck in the canal. He was blue when he was finally delivered. My OB wanted to do c-sections for the last two because of potential problems like oxygen depravation causing brain damage or potential broken shoulder by pulling a baby through a two narrow birth canal. I think the potential complications of a c-section were not worth the above happening. Just my personal decision.
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't think about it because it's not my business and I have more than enough to concentrate on. It's fine to care about others but no one has the right to nag anyone about what they choose to do with their life or how they have their children.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Doctor's convenience?

I have no idea.. I was terrified of a c section!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• btw, i dont mean to sound like im jumping all over you, but your question sounds a bit argumentative since it is one that is soley about personal choice. i just dont feel like moms need another flaw to be pointed out. sorry if i got a little ticked!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I had a C-section birth with my son, not by choice, by necessity. I am currently trying to conceive again. In all honesty, I cannot say I will not schedule a C-section if I do become pregnant. The reason for that is simply, I cannot give birth vaginally, I have issues which prevent that. IF the only way I can be sure that MY doctor will be the one there to deliver my next child, then yes I will schedule. I will do that because I know and trust my doctor, and because I do not want to risk, waiting, being rushed in to a C-Section with a doctor who is not familiar with my case.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• because some people prefer too, i dont see why it bothers you if another woman chooses to do so thats her and her doctors business. maybe some ppl see no need in enduring hours or labor in a complicated labor when the safest route may be straight to the OR. just wondering, where did you get your PhD?
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Because women don't research those facts and don't care, "Cause everyone else did it and was fine". And because the doctor said so.

And it "none of anyones business how they do it" And the doctors like scheduled surgeries. DUH!!!

Has nothing to do with actual need.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• secondtyme...she is asking a question to start a conversation about it. No need to jump all over her!

Can you not agree there are less chances of medical complications from natural child birth>
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Some people have know choice, my last I schedule because I did get a tuberlization and I knew if we waited it out, we would have had 5 kids instead of 4. My 4th was a blessing but very unexpected.

I love all my kids, with all my heart....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010