Getting my 12 month old to nap...

HELP! I dont know what to do anymore, since day 1 shes been a cranky colicy baby. It has always been a fight to get her to nap or sleep. Finally at 9 months, she started sleeping through the night and napping great. One month later she started screaming and fighting naps constantly to this day. She sleeps all night and has no problem going to sleep but during the days shes cranky and wont nap. she'll fight for hours even though shes exhausted! What should i do????

faithm127

Asked by faithm127 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• so im sure someone will try to say that maybe she doesnt need one anymore, or something, but my 2 year old really didnt have a choice in the napping situation. if he didnt get a nap, i didnt get a break and i NEEED those. so i will deal with the crying and whining for a few days in order to get her used to falling asleep at a certain time in the day. now at 2 my son will crawl into his bed at 11:30 am and fall asleep alone for his nap. i dont like CIO bc it works my nerves, so i would put him down, let him start to cry then i would bend down and rub his face until his eyes got droopy and i would walk out before he drifted all the way.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Have you tried working up to it? Maybe some baby massage, lavender scented lotion to help relax, soothing music, darkened room? The soothing routine usually worked to get a baby to relax then sleep would some much easier. I completely understand the need to have the break that naps provide. A 1 yr old should definately still be napping at least once a day. I also wonder if she is overstimulated or if the naps could be scheduled at a different time of day that would work better for her body schedule. Just some thoughts.....
    MaggiesMom208

Answer by MaggiesMom208 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You can't make someone sleep. Stop making it a battle. Try wearing your baby on your back in a mei tai, if tired \my baby naps in it while I vacuum. 12 months is a time for major milestons, growth spurts, and enen teething.

don't do lavender, it can be stimulating. be wary of baths too, it has the opposite effect on some babies who get energetic after a bath.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• 12 mo is a big milestone. As pp has said teething, growth spurts can be the cause of napless days. Is she being over or under stimulated during the day? Summertime is a great time for lots of outdoor activities even with a baby this young, even younger.
    frndlyfn

Answer by frndlyfn at 4:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Are you trying to get her to nap twice a day? My son dropped to one nap a day at that time. If I tried to put him down morning and afternoon he fought it, if he didn't nap at all he was cranky. He used to do a 9am nap and a 2pm nap, but at 12 months he kind of averaged them out and had one nap, at noon.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 6:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Take her for a walk in a stroller. I put mine in the stroller with snacks and water and they usually fell asleep.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We put up blackout shades in his room. It was like a miracle.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010