Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Am I legally allowed to move out of state before I have the baby?

My SO and I broke up. We live in AZ and I have no family here. We stayed here because of his college and planned to move back to CA after he was done. Now that we are broken up, I won't make it out here on my own. I have a 4 yr old DD from a previous relationship as well.

I know I can't move out of state after the baby is born (if he files for custody, which he plans to) but can move before the baby is born? I really need to be closer to my family, i'm going to need help.


Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Yes, do it NOW. He will have to come to YOU once you move, if he desires to have any visitation. If you wait until after the child is born, and he presses for rights to the child, you may have to show "Just Cause" to be able to move. They CAN court order you to stay within a certain distance.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • You sure can. And the sooner you do, the better. The child's place of birth takes precedence over state parent is in.

    Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • Also, in custody/visitation cases with an infant, BREASTFEEDING IS KEY!!!! if you can prove that you are SOLELY BF, and your child depends on you for it's nutrition, it basically kills ANY chance of him getting the child alone for at a minimum of the first year. Google it, you'll find TONS of useful info- Breastfeeding can actually prevent him from getting custody/over night visitation. They can not legally order you to pump and provide milk for visits- because it jeopardizes your supply to be away from you child.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • I would say yes.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • Yep - move now

    Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 12:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • yep, if you are going to move, do it now

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • I believe you can but if you know for a fact that he is going to try and file for custody this may cause problems if you are in a whole different state

    Answer by lazo060109 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • Yes, do it before the baby is born!!!! And HURRY!!!!

    Answer by samurai_chica at 12:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • of course.
    heck, you're allowed to after too as long as there is no actual custody order in place by the courts stating otherwise

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • If there are no legal papers in order and your not with him, you are free to do as you please. If he isn't in your life when it comes time for you to give birth,then what authority will he have on your child? Do whats best for your child and your unborn baby be grateful you have a family who you know loves you and will help.

    Answer by pgee357 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010