So...to make a long story short

My step-kids runaway on Thursday and told the police that I had abandoned them at a local recreation center, I absolutely did not abandon them. The police got the kids to fess up to running away and lying that I had abandoned them. They do not get spanked in our home so...I feel a fair punishment not only for running away but lying about something so serious as "abandonment" I could have got into alot of trouble had the officer believed them. Anyway, I think they should be grounded the week and weekend which would mean no fourth of July for them. I think it's fair considering the situation. Hubby agrees but thinks they should be able to watch the fireworks...are your serious!? That kinda defeats the whole purpose of being grounded on the fourth of July. Sorry, but this was not the normal I got in trouble for disobeying the rules grounded... this was serious! What do you think? Their ages are 12 and 13.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow, my kid would get 3 hots and a cot only...nothing else. Not even a door on his room for a long time. Way longer than a week and weekend, no fireworks. Nothing but a bed a few measly clothes, lots of chores and 3 simple meals.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't think grounding is nearly severe enough punishment for this "crime." Try to think of something that will leave a much more lasting impression about the seriousness of what they did!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think being grounded for the weekend and week is far to mild of a punishment for this offense. My kids would be on lock down until I said so. WOW!

And the idea your dh said about letting them watch fireworks, is laughable.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would be grounding them alot longer than just a week and the weekend, and I wouldnt let them watch the fireworks either. They need to realize the seriousness of their accusations. My mother would have grounded me for a month to my room with no tv, phone, internet, or friends!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Eeek. I would tell them they are lucky they werent kidnapped or killed...do they realize the dangers of running away? They are lucky thier just getting grounded...they could be put into juvenile detention for the 4th of July. Tell dad not letting them watch the fireworks won't kill them but I bet it would kill his heart if something horrible were to have happend to his children while they were gone. That is not something like not cleaning your room..that is BAD.
    Yeah, I'd fel bad too if I was sitting outside having a good old time watching a once a year event such as fireworks as my kids had to sit in the house..but hey..sometimes a punishment hurts the parents just as much as the children adn thats why many parents don't follow through. Good luck and Stand your ground! I support your decision, if I count at all,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I like Bradensismysons I idea, strip their room of nothing more than a mattress and blanket....let them eat soup and bread for a few days.

Seriously, if you dont handle this in a way that they realize how severe it is, then next time might be much worse.

I refuse to let my children control me like that.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I definately agree with you, step or bio kids! If any of my kids ever thought of doing anything like this, there would be serious consequences, I do believe that you are right, him allowing them to experience 4th of july defeats the "punishment or consequence" for their behavior. Good luck I have 2 kids similar to their age, it's tough!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No fire works!!!
    AND they are LUCKY to have you all as parents - only ONE week grounded?????
    They would be grounded for 3 weeks - and doing chorse around the house. Running away and LYING to the POLICE are both MAJOR MAJOR issues....

jmo...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If they were mine they would be grounded for an entire month!!! No tv, they would have to stay in their rooms all day unless they were doing chores. They would be scrubbing floors and walls!!! I cannot believe kids would actually do that to their care taker. You need to put ur foot down and tell dh that they will NOT be seeing the fireworks. They should be lucky to see the light of day!!!
    tinkerbell319

Answer by tinkerbell319 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Strip the rooms, grounding, no fireworks, and get them therapy - if they are running away and lying there might be other issues.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010