Spin off of purgatory and Jesus' role.

For those who believe in purgatory, the souls of dead are are not free from sin, temporary punishment and are not permitted to heaven yet. (Is that a fair definition?)

Does this belief dismiss the sacrifice of Jesus and him dying for our sins to be washed away (Rev 1-5.)

Im not provoking and just want conversation. Thanks.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 12:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• eringobrough, let me first say personally that I often find myself agreeing with you on certain issues and I gladly call you my sister in Christ, but this is one issue upon which I'm certain we will never agree.

Whether you call it works, penance, prayer for the dead, or something else, the point is that something has to be added to Christ's work in order to eventually make it to heaven. I believe Christ's work was sufficient and effective to cover all our sins (venial or otherwise), that he paid the penalty in full. His righteousness has been credited (imputed) to our account and the law has nothing of which to accuse a righteous person (Romans 8:1-4, Col 2:14, Heb 10:12-14), therefore there is not further debt to be paid in whatever form.
    solamama

Answer by solamama at 6:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i have no clue i was not raised to believe in purgatory, and don't really understand it at all. but i would love to see others opinions.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 12:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think it does misapply Christ's sacrifice. The only way to heaven is through Christ's righteousness being imputed to us. There is no way to earn salvation (it is a gift), but the doctrine of purgatory emphasizes our own works rather than Christ's.
    I
    solamama

Answer by solamama at 1:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I am curious about other's answers as well. I thought purgatory was for the unbaptized people, but i am not sure. Maybe a catholic mama can clarify?
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 2:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, that's not a correct understanding of purgatory. Purgatory does not remove sin itself. Jesus did that on the Cross. Purgatory removes the EFFECTS of sin. Here's an anlogy: Christ told us to pick up our cross and follow him so picture a cross.. Each time we sin we put a nail into this cross. When we ask and receive forgiveness for our sins God pulls the nail from the cross. The sin is gone - but the nail leves a hole. Purgatory is God filling those holes in our cross so we have a perfect cross in heaven.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• As for unbaptized people in heaven. Purgatory helps explain how some non-Christians who have never heard about Jesus, may be saved through the mercy of Jesus. This is assuming they believe in God and have sought after truth and their ignorance is "through no fault of their own". Sort of like in Purgatory they will meet Jesus before they enter heaven.

Sometimes people confuse "purgatory" and "limbo". These are two different concepts. As I explained purgatory is the final purification before heaven. It's a doctrine of the Catholic Church. Limbo is a "theological concept" - something a Catholic choose whether or not to believe in (not a dogma). Limbo is the idea that unbaptized babies who die with original sin but without any actual sin go to a place of perfect happiness (limbo) instead of heaven. But the Catholic Church does teach that we can hope and trust in God's mercy that unbaptized babies go to heaven.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• solamama - purgatory has absolutely nothing to do with working our way into heaven. The Catholic Church teaches that we are saved by God's grace only. There's absolutely nothing we can do to earn our way to heaven (in fact they argued against such idea when it first came up in the 5th centruy - it was called Pelagianism or semi-pelagianism). It's understanding that when we sin there are both eternal consequences (hell/spiritual death) and temporal (temporary) consequences. Christ's death and resurrection saved us from the eternal consequences of our sins - because of Christ and God's grace we can enter heaven. However, we still experience the temporary consequences of sin. Purgatory isn't us working our way to heaven - it's Christ purifiying our souls from these temporary consequences.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Here's an article that provides a pretty helpful overview of what Purgatory is: http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/purgatory.htm

Using Evangelical terms, the article says "Purgatory would be where the backslider would get cleaned up before joining the wedding banquet of the Lord - so he wouldn't be thrown out (Mat 22:12)."
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• solamama - it appears you're still not understanding purgatory. I agree Christ's work is sufficient to cover all our sins (venial or otherwise). He paid the price in full. Because of his death and resurrection we're saved from the eternal consequences of our sins. Purgatory adds nothing to Christ's work - purgatory is how Christ's work is applied to an individuals. Everyone in purgatory is already saved! They're going to heaven! They don't have to earn their way there. Purgatory is God washing away the effects of our sins. It's the final purification/sanctification. Only God's grace can sanctify us - we can't do that ourselves. Purgatory is a sign of God's mercy on those who have honestly sought to know God and to do His will in this life and yet die in some degree of bondage to sin or the effects of sin. See http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0041.html for details.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• And what I'm saying is that the final purification/sanctification was completed when Christ suffered, died, and rose, there is no need for anything additional, like purgatory.
    solamama

Answer by solamama at 10:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010