What do you think of this comment?

"The reason I ... have fought for this program isn't because we're trying to give relief to people that aren't responsible, that don't know what the hell they're doing, or don't care what they're doing. We're giving relief to people that I deal with in my office every day now, unfortunately. But because of the longevity of this recession, these are people -- and they're not minorities and they're not defective and they're not all the things you'd like to insinuate that these programs are about -- these are average, good American people."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewmj4x4XJ0E&feature=player_embedded

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's so mulit layerd where does one begin?
    The minority issue should have never been brought up.
    And it just kinda snowballs from there. I think he and Birdie were brothers...so now all of a sudden people he knows ( white middle class) need help and he's a champion for them? Is that what this is saying?
    My only thought is that if the current system had NOT helped the idiots who had no idea what they were doing there would be money left over to help the people he "speaks" off. He should have been a little more careful with his previous vote casting.
    The till is dry...the old codger needs to move on.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The till is dry...the old codger needs to move on.

I agree with all your statement, the last sent. sums it up! LOL

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I heard something on talk radio yesterday a.m that made me think and this video is so appropriate for the discussion. Once certain programs become effective and last longer than originally planned, it becomes an entitlement. Impossible to get back off the books And the people who at one time received it now feel entitled, so much so that they begin to change the laws in order to keep the entitlement going. That is exactly what this guy here is doing, a representative who is trying to argue his way into making a new law-if you will-to keep up the entitlements for the people he feels are deserving.

Does everyone and anyone feel that they are entitled to something? Each and every person in that room of discussions had someone they were trying to represent to keep some sort of entitlement going. Thus....a dry till.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't have a problem with it and what the media is making into a big deal is really a true statement. Funny thing is they leave off the part where he says "and they're not all the things you'd insinuate that these programs are about". Those words make all the difference in how it is percieved.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

a dem made th statement and the republicans are the ones complaining about it....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010