Conception after a D & C

Although we aren't actively trying just yet, I m/c just 3 weeks ago and had a D&C the very next day. Is it adviseable to use protection to prevent a pregnancy so soon and if so, what are the implications of getting pregnant sooner? Has anyone gotten pregnant just a short few weeks following a D & C and had a successful pregnancy?

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 12:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I have had 2 DNC's both followed by a successful pregnancy, with my first one we concieved again 3 months after the miscarraige with DNC and he is a healthy 2 year old now. The second one I had a DNC last week in October and got pregnant the last week in November so just a month , she is now a happy healthy 10 month old.
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 12:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The amount of time is differnet with every doctor. I've heard a general rule of thumb is 3 months before trying again!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• That seems so long to wait..but, then again, it has been 9 long years so a few months isn't going to make much of a difference in the long run.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• With our 3rd miscarriage we had to have a dnc cause I wasnt having any spotting or cramping. But there was no blood flow to the baby. We ended up having the d n c on the 14th of December and in Feb my period had never started so I called the nurse and she said that sometimes it takes awhile. Well I had heard from others that you can be really fertile after d n c and miscarriage just ike you are after birth so I decided to just take a test and start there b4 making a n appt. Well turned out I was pregnant. Of course we figured it had just happened. So we waited till March for an appt thinking thats when we would have been around 8wks n turned out we was 12 so I had gotten pregnant like 2 to 3wks after the d n c. I never had any problems with the pregnancy. I did take progesterone for a month but I take that with every pregnancy!
    My doc never told me to not try he just said if we wasnt preg in 3mths to come in n he would help.
    mom2wy

Answer by mom2wy at 12:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Everyone's responses are encouraging! Thanks so much! We are excited to be able to try again....we haven't been using any protection for the past 1 1/2 weeks and although we are very sad for the loss of our baby, we are also finding that our love life has increased dramatically! I was thinking of starting to use protection as we have been about as active as some of my friends had said we would be in my second trimester (which I would now be in if I were still pregnant). If we haven't conceived, we will be fine with that, but I am also anxious to hear what our Nurse Practitioner has to say to us next week!
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Personally, I would wait 3 months. My dr. told me that you have an increased chance of miscarriage if you conceive within the first 3 months. She told me that your body needs time to heal and sometimes the lining is scrapped very thin during a d&c and won't allow the baby to implant properly. I know it sucks, but is a few months worth the risk. I had a d&c 3 months ago and it has been so hard to wait, but I think it is better in the long run. Good luck!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010