I have a question about raising barn cats from a kitten.

My cat had kittens and they are now a little over 8 weeks old. My mom has decided she would take 3 of them. She adores cats and takes very good care of the ones she already has...but the ones she has at home now are all indoor cats. She is moving this weekend to a big house on 4 acres with 2 ponds and a huge barn that has some barn animals in there already. These kittens would definitley live a good life there and be happy, there is no doubt in my mind.
But I'm thinking that they are too young to be put out in the barn just yet. This far, theyve only been indoors. I fear a Hawk swooping down and snatching them..and I fear they'd get infested with fleas and you really can't put flea treatment on kittens so young..don't they have to be 6 months before you can apply anything? So, if youre experienced with barn cats...what is a good age to start letting them actually stay outside and in the barn?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pets

• my mom has some that are about 10 weeks and they do fine by themsleves int he barn....she also has a big lab ( he is bigger than a regular lab) and whenever he even gets close the kittens attack him .... he isnt trying to hurt them but it is funny to watch and obivous that they can take care of themselves
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• we did it as soon as they were weaned. just leave some food somewhere where they can get to it regularly and they will hang out until they are old enough to venture out. You may lose a few kittens and you may eventually end up with a few more. Cats attract more cats. Hawks will and can steal a kitten, there isn't much you can do to prevent that. If you can, get a chicken or two or even a good rooster and he will look after your cats and protect them from other animals and keep the flea problem under control in the yard.
    Barn cats I think have the best lives, they get to live like nature intended.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Well a lot of barn cats are born out in the barn, so are outside from birth. So i think 8 weeks is fine. I dont really like having outdoor animals, though i do have 1 outdoor cat. I have a fear of them getting killed so id rather keep them inside.
    Cressida

Answer by Cressida at 4:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• LOL glamomommo...I can just see these itty bittys trying to attack the two dogs that they have..one is a husky and the other is aboston terrier, lol. That would be so funny.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yeah it is funny... the main thing is fleas though... the kittens already had them on them and the vet told my mom to wait before getting them flea dipped... but its horrible because one of them is covered in them so my mom has to bring them in like every other day to bath theem....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yeah...thats what I feared. Especially with it being in the heart of summer time...we know how bad the fleas can get. They multiply so quick. What can they be bathed in..just Dawn dish soap you think? Or can they be bathed in a cat shampoo yet?
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thanks jewjewbee...you've really been helpful. I think they do have chickens there already, thats good to know about the fleas!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you're most certainly welcome.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010