Is teaching a family friendly career?

I'm debating becoming an early childhood teacher (birth-3rd grade). Is this a family friendly career? Can I still be heavily involved in my childs life? Can teachers take time off to go to their own children's field trips and such?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and I can say that teaching is about as family friendly as ANY job can get.

You never have to worry about being off for the holidays and yes, you are able to take off for field trips and such.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If you are a teacher I do not think you'd be able to take off lots of time but I may be wrong. As for family friendly carrers that is a very hard thing to figure out. Good luck.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 12:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I know here teachers get a certain number of days off - if they want to take those for their kids field trips then I'm certain they could do that, but they don't get extra days off for that, it's counted in with their sick days. Teachers don't get off at 3:30, or whenever the kids get out of school - there are papers to grade and lessons to plan. The first few years particularly are busy getting together the materials needed for each unit of study. And once you have everything you need, the districts usually change textbooks, necessitating new lesson plans and materials!
    I guess with the time off in the summer (although it's not the entire summer) and the breaks at Christmas and spring break, it is more family friendly than most - but not as much as some might think.
    I have my education degree and have subbed, but never taught full time - because I wanted to spend more time with my kids.

Answer by missanc at 12:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The hours are great for moms. You have school hours and summer off. I guess if you want to use your days off for field trips, you could. That's how I use my sick days. And you would be there after school. It's so tough to get a teaching job right now though. From what I hear, no one is hiring teachers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I've found it to be the PERFECT job for me and my family! My husband is the primary income earner, and now that my children are in full-day school, I am able to get them on and off the bus each day, and my school district's schedule matches their school district schedule, so there are only a handful of times when there is a conflict--but I use my sick and personal time so I can be as involved as I was when I was a SAHM!

I'm a special education teacher, so my lesson planning and grades are very different from regular education teacher--just as much work, but mostly done during school hours, and since i have several classroom aides, I am able to use my prep time effectively. I earn 3 personal and 10 sick days per year--whatever I don't use rolls over to the following school year, plus all of the major holidays, some minor ones, 1/2 days/early dismissals, two school vacation weeks, and 10 weeks off for summer vacation!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I just switched careers to teaching because I thought it would be family friendly.. But here's the reality: You have a contracted time for a 7.5 hr work day. Mine is 8:00 to 3:30. But you only get 45 minutes of plan time a week, so I come in at 7 and leave at 5, and come in on some weekends. Today there are much higher demands on teachers, you can no longer get away with planning a regular lesson- you have to differentiate your materials to meet state & national standards and meet the needs of all students in your class. In my Class i have had a student reading at a second grade level to a student at a 8th grade level. it may get easier with experience... But then again when I go in on a Sunday, there's about 13 other teachers in too, who have 5-10 years experience. I love the job, but I would get more time with my baby with a different career. My fi al thought is, this would better, if I had school age children versus an inf
    Sophie216

Answer by Sophie216 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2013