How frequent are speech therapy visits, usually?

I'm waiting on a referral from my 3-year-old's pediatrician, but was wondering in the meantime how often kids typically go to a speech therapist. And does it space out after a while depending on progress? For instance, if he starts out at once a week, might that eventually go down to once every other week and then once a month, etc., as he gets better; or would he just stop going when they deem him ready?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 12:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The decision for how long and how often is done by the professionals and parents working together. It is based on his evaluations on how much help he needs, and how much you desire and can get him too. :) My dd has been in speech since she was 18 months old :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It depends on their attention span and how much help the child needs. My son used to go for an hour once/week, then he started going twice/week for 1/2 each time because he couldn't handle the extended time. When his speech therapy ended, it was stopped suddenly rather than gradually - he had met all of his goals and there was no longer a need for it.

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I m not sure about toddlers but my ds had a stuttering prob. For about 3 yrs. Now he is doing great (thank you lord) he had a speech therapist for 2 days a week during school. So don't worry too much your baby is still growing and learning God Bless! N GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son has had them weekly... We could have opted for twice a week, but he wasn't that bad off, so we didn't see a great need to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It depends upon your child. My son started going once a week at age 3, and then he went to twice a week, and then up to 4x per week. Next year, he may go back to just once or twice a week as he made a ton of progress towards the end of this school year and didn't qualify for summer speech this year.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Mine is seen by one once a week.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010