Other than milk,yogurts,cheese,cottage cheese...what foods contain calcium and vitamin D?

My daughter will only drink milk from a bottle. And we are in the process of weaning her off the bottle. I give her a sippy cup of milk daily in hopes that she'll just drink it eventually. She will eat cheese slices and string cheese...but you can only give that so much often before they become constipated,lol. And recently she's showing no interest in eating yogurt..and I've tried different kinds...or the cottage cheese anymore.
So what else is there that I can give her to supplement these two important and essential vitamins. Bananas have calcium in them right?But she can't eat those every day either,lol. I guess I would like a variety of ideas so I can switch it up so she doesnt get bored with it like she did with th eother stuff and stop eating it.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Scroll down and you will see a list of non dairy foods that contain calcium.
    http://pediatrics.about.com/od/calcium/a/06_calcium_food.htm

10 minutes in the sun for Vitamin D - without sunscreen
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d/ns_patient-vitamind
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• not sure about vitamin d, but calcium is in dark green leafy veggies like spinach. broccoli, too. Also, most cereals are fortified with both.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• potatoes, dark green veggies, you can get vitamin d from the sun!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You have to read the labels
    Lots of kids yougurts don't have vit D
    some cereals are fortified with it some aren't
    unfortunatly I don't know specific names of which ones do and don't
    good luck!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Some fish have lots of vit d like salmon or cod I think. Although if she's picky about what she likes you might have a tough time getting her to eat fish.
    brykev

Answer by brykev at 6:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The sun is the best source of vitamin D; twenty minutes a day outside, without sunscreen.

Calcium can be found in lots of unexpected places; dark green vegetables, for example. You can find a great listing here: www.soystache.com/calcium

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2010