Front Load Washer not so Fresh

So I was always really good about leaving my door open on my front loading washer. It didn't smell for almost a year. Now it does (my DH closes it eventhough I tell him not to) I have tried bleach, vinegar, and the overpriced tablets at the store to get rid of it, but nothing has worked. Anybody have any super remedies? I miss the smell of clean washer!

Pumelo

Asked by Pumelo at 1:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use the tide washing machine cleaner! Works great for me, and it is not so expensive. You are supposed to use them once a month for maintence. If it still smells you can use it once a week until the smell is gone. You have to make sure it is set to the hot cycle. Good luck!
    kennethsmom910

Answer by kennethsmom910 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Baking Soda. Use it instead of your detergent in the powdered detergent cup. Run through a entire cycle using hot water in the wash. Then run a rinse and spin only cycle using vinegar in the softener cup. THEN - using a vinegar solution (1/2 water-vinegar) wipe down the rubber seal.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have the same problem. I have tried EVERYTHING that I could think of, and so far have come up with absolutely zip. I try to clean it by hand once a week, tried vinegar, bleach, and numerous other "specialty" cleaning products but to no avail. It has gotten to the point that we are looking to purchase another washer....the smell is driving me crazy, and like you I miss the smell of a clean washer. Let me know if you find anything that is effective.

Best of Luck :)
    kiddosX8

Answer by kiddosX8 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Alright first cycle starting now.... I will keep you posted on the outcome....hopefully you can handle the suspense
    Pumelo

Comment by Pumelo (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my mom sprays febreeze in hers and lets it dry before using it and now it don't stink
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010