slowly potty training?

I know a lot of people like to go straight to underwear to potty train, and I would love to do that. But, I just had a baby and can't dedicate all my time, so I want to go at a slower pace using pull ups and underwear (mainly when the baby sleeps). We have been training for 1 week now (hes 19 months) and so far so good.He tells me he has to go all the time but wont go on his potty, or the big potty. He has gone a few times, but thats it, he acts afraid. What can I do to relax him. The funny thing is, he goes everytime at walmart lol. I take him in, and I sit on the toilet and sit him in front of me and he goes each time, but wont go like that at home. Just was looking for any experiences you may have had, or any suggestions to make it easier on all of us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried putting cheerios in the toilet and telling him to make them sink? This helped my son.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We let our little one wander around the house naked at first (scary, yes! lol) because we were all ready to start training but didn't think she was quite ready for the big girl pants yet. When we left the house she would wear pull ups and at home (after the naked phase) she would wear the gerber training pants. They're thick but they're underwear. As someone who has been in childcare for 10 years (most of which was with the potty trainers) do not switch to pull ups unless you are ready to commit to not buying diapers anymore. It's super confusing to little ones when they go from pull ups to diapers to pull ups to underwear to diapers. You know? But your baby is still young! We introduced her at 18 months and she was totally done (in her own time) within 2 or 3 months. This was a long potty training period, but she was done by 2 which is really great and she did it in her own time which is even better.

Good luck!
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 7:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010