If your daughter wanted to dress like a boy?

Angelina Jolie just did an interview where she said her daughter thinks she is one of the brothers (along with older sibs Pax and Maddox), she wants to dress like a boy in suits and boots etc...they even cut her hair short in a boys style...

If your daughter (I think she is around 5?) wanted to be like a boy, would you indulge her? buy her boy clothes? boys hair cuts??

I was a tomboy growing up, my daughter isn't, she likes sports but still girly things. I know my hubby would have a fit if she were asking for her hair cut like a boy etc.....

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't care. I WISH my 4 year old would wear jeans. Everything has to be a complete outfit, preferably a skirt. I just buy her appropriate clothes and let her pick. She likes her skirts (the kind with the shorts under them) but she also likes to climb all over the playground, kick her soccer ball, etc. I always have to laugh because she is so concerned about the outfit, and then she will proceed to get it absolutely filthy dirty and grass stained.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• When my son was little, he went through a phase where he walked around carrying a doll and a purse and wanted to be called by his best friend's name (best friend was a girl). I let him. It passed.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I dress my 2 year old in boys clothes a lot. We live on a farm and she ruff on things. Do you know what a pink outfit looks like at the end of a day on the farm? Shall we just say trash bin. As she gets older it will be her choice but for now I want something that holds up and doesn't show stains.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• So long as what Ki wears covers more than a bathing suit, I don't care. It's her clothes, her hair, her life, her choice. She's 5 and been picking out her own clothes and hair since she was 1 (clothes) and 2 (when her hair grew).
    I'm not the one living with it, so I shouldn't force my likes on her.
    Just as long as she's not showing too much and the clothes are weather appropriate.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's a phase and she'll likely grow out of it. As long as she realizes that she's not actually a boy then I would have no problem with it. I had short hair and played sports as a kid. I also took ballet classes and played piano. A haircut and clothing wouldn't be anything to get all in a flap about.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I hope I would have the courage to let my child be whoever she wanted- if "boy clothes" made her happy then that is what I would let her wear. I think trying to change who your kids are inadvertently sends the message that they aren't perfectly fine just the way they are or want to be, and that can lead to all sorts of problems much bigger than what to wear.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I doubt my dd would because she LOVES all things girly for clothes and wants her hair grown out long. But if she wanted to I wouldn't stop her. I was always in jeans and a t-shirt growing up. I was not big into girly anything. I preferred hanging with the guys and finding snakes to throw at my little sisters.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Why not?
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 1:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think she is only three not five but either way I say let her be who she wants to be.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 2:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You mean, like when we were potty training and my daughter insisted she HAD to HAVE toys tory and Lightning Mcqueen Undies... and the compromise was she had to pick out some girly ones to wear to Grandma's, too?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010