Will I go into labor today?

I went to my 40 week appt today and found out I was dialated to a 3... A couple of my friends and family are shocked they didn't send me on to the hospital. They said I was ready to have this baby. I haven't had any steady contractions though. The strange thing is, I have never dialated b4 going into the hospital. My body is usually a slow progressor. How long could this last b4 going to the hospital?
btw this is my 4th baby!

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Its hard to say but hopefully... I had my son 2 weeks ago and I was supposed to be induced which turned into an emergency csection (Long story) but when I got to the hospital I was already dilated to 3 cm so you may end up dilating more without feeling the contractions. Good Luck you are in my thoughts that your baby comes soon. My youngest daughter i was 7 cm when i got to the drs and they sent me right to the hospital. i think your actually supposed to be between 4-5 cm before they will keep you which sucks but that may also depend on your hospital and drs.
    VanAJNTJsMommy

Answer by VanAJNTJsMommy at 1:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It is so hard to say. Every baby and every pregnancy is VERY different. There are no two that are the same. I would say that if you are wanting to go into labor, WALK.....its kind of cliche, but I can assure you after 8 kids that it is indeed helpful. Not only do you get some exercise, but the gravity helps put pressure on the cervix, thus dilating it further. There unfortunately is NO sure way to know when you will go into labor. My first baby, I had a doc appt at 9 am and he was POSITIVE I had another week at least. Not dilated, nothing. My son was born 13 hours later. My last baby, my EIGHTH...I was dilated at 3-4, and 50-75% effaced for almost 7 weeks. See what I mean, there are of course "norms" but every woman and every pregnancy has its own "normal".
    Good Luck.....and WALK WALK WALK :)
    kiddosX8

Answer by kiddosX8 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• MANY MANY women are dialated before they go into labor.

Being dilated is not an indicator of when you when go into labor.

I was a 3 for 3 weeks. My BFF was a 3 for 2 months!

Hopefully it's soon but unless your showing other signs of labor I don't think it will be today but then again those things can change pretty quickly so who knows.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My sister in law went through this and the sent her to the hospital but it was a waste of time because they sent her home since she was not having any contractions I would just begin to walk and enjoy your last few moments with dh/so by yourself and see if that helps labor moving along
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I was at 3 cm from 36 weeks to 42 weeks when I was induced
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• With my first I was dialated to 3 when I was 6 months pregnant and he still wan't born to his due date...exactly on his due date,lol.
    Congradulations!!! And Good luck! Hope he comes soon for you! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I know alot of women dialate before they go into labor... I know its possible to be at a 3 for weeks... but the reason I ask is b/c its not the norm for my body to dialate b4 labor (so I thought maybe this was the 1st sign that I was gonna go into labor in the next couple of days)... I guess I was just REALLY hoping it would happen today...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i was a 3 for a month! i also was just huge so i was trying to go into labor and nothing worked! the baby will come when its ready! good luck maybe today!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I stayed a 3 for about a month. I was a 4 when I finally went into labor at 40 weeks, 3 days after my doctor stripped my membranes. My doctor aggravated my cervix a little and I went and walked for about 2 hours, and contractions started back to back.. I had my little girl 12 hours later!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i was dilated 3cm at 39 weeks went to the hospital and 14 hours and 55 mins later my daughter was born
    goodluck! and congrads!
    it wont be much longer
    Mommy2be6810

Answer by Mommy2be6810 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010